[California] 2 part time jobs. Was abruptly laid off for 1 job.

vanesagroza

I (24F) got laid off my server job without notice. My boss did not send me my schedule for the week, but instead sent a text explaining that the restaurant’s experiencing difficulties (it’s not) and can no longer have me. Just so coincidentally, my boss who got 2 divorces is a creep, harasses me, always asking me out for dinner, always asking if I can drive him home, believes I got a new boyfriend (I don’t) after he saw a picture on my social media. he made the assumption that I have a new bf and 2 weeks later, I’m laid off. I know this is related to my boss being biased, because another female server who is married received her schedule and will continue to work.

In an unrelated note, my boss takes my tips for himself. He has been taking a portion of my tips for months, but he claims he does not as he is the boss and bosses do not take tips. I know he’s been taking my share of tips because another female server had this talk with my boss, and she got it out of him that he indeed takes our tips.

In this situation, can I sue? What action should I take?

@vanesagroza The first paragraph I'm assuming is about unemployment. Yes, you can file for unemployment. The second paragraph is about whether or not you can sue him? Yes, you can but you need to have something better than "my friend told me he told her". You can start by filing a wage claim with the state.

@vanesagroza Yes, file for UI and only tell them that you were laid off due to business slowdown. The rest of the stuff will not help you unless the employer turns around and claims misconduct - then you can offer that other info.

Talk to a lawyer about sexual harassment. Back in the day, Hooters had a lot of similar lawsuits.