Buying T-bills (Treasury Bills) and Government Bonds directly v/s Investing in Liquid & Overnight Funds

@kuskus1 Had a noob question... If it is for 5-6 months, why not save it in a Small Finance Bank Savings account? They provide high interest rates and are backed by RBI protection...And what would be the advantage of saving these funds in T-Billw over Overnight Funds?

@midalantian Backed by RBI doesn't necessarily mean zero liquidity risk. Time and again we have repeatedly seen RBI imposing withdrawal limits whenever a bank comes close to collapse, so you can definitely forget that money for a little longer, also the probability of issues with small finance banks are much higher than any major players, hence more the risk in just standard terms.
TBills are backed by RBI too, but the difference lies in the fact that they are the safest form of assets to hold:
  • no change in promised value if you hold to maturity (unlike gold that can fluctuate or debt funds)
  • zero default risk unlike bonds ( if TBills are at risk, there are much bigger problems for all of us as the government is about to default and inflation would be through the roof and growth almost stagnant)
  • zero liquidity risk if you had analysed your expected returns timelines appropriately ( unlike failing banks or sudden issues like Franklin)
  • ni additional charges to be paid to anyone ( unlike overnight funds )
IMO, treasury bills are not for return seeking investors, but a means of keeping capital secure with some returns, it can be one of the places you keep a smaller portion of your emergency funds in, preferably 91D or 182D depending on how you foresee need of capital.

Edit: also, though TBills are generally of low yield, with a little smartness and a bit of luck, you can earn pretty decent returns (10% pre tax) out of it too, especially in current times when a 91D bill has ~6% returns.

@midalantian Yes, simple buying and selling is not too complex, i would however ask you to refrain from buying any that you might not be able to hold till maturity. With a few months into it, you might learn more intricacies around how to improve your returns.

@kuskus1 Liquid fund doesn't pay well. Like in three month 1 percent movement
So like do they work out investment wise.. i mean they offer 6-7% right.
You can keep it in equity no. Plus both of them have STGT.

I am a noob willing to learn

@resjudicata Glad that you mentioned are willing to learn. Liquid funds are not for returns but safety of capital. Let's say you have 5 lakhs , you want to park it for sometime before using it. You can go for liquid. Name itself says that. It's for liquidating.

@kuskus1
On doing so I will be getting much better returns.

Let's look at the absolute amounts b4 getting into the game.

Assume 10,00,000 for 6 months and you get a better return of 1%... Rs1666 gross.

Net of taxes is 1166/1332 depending on 30%/20% marginal tax rate.

Is it worth it ?