Buying T-bills (Treasury Bills) and Government Bonds directly v/s Investing in Liquid & Overnight Funds

@ngocthanh2015 But if we have a time period of 3 months, then it doesn't matter right. STCG will have to be paid whether it's FD, TBills or Liquid funds or Ultra Short Term MF

Edit - OP has a time duration of 4 to 5 months. So tax will be the same regardless. We should focus on what gives more return.

@jayy18 First Fixed income doesnt come under capital gains i.e. STCG or LTCG.

All fixed income are taxed under normal income slabs in india with some exceptions.

Now if u invest in funds u will not realize any gains until u redeem. It can be forever

@jt5542002 Yes. For smaller quantities. And awful rates.

These are normally dealt in multiples of crores by mutual funds/banks/larger corporates so the market for mango man quantities like ours is practically non existent.

@kuskus1 The current yield on T bills is higher than FDs of the similar term. You can invest directly in 3m 6m or 1Y tbills from RBI direct.

A video explaining the current situation but it may not stay the same.

@kuskus1 A point that I did not see....

Often people compare previous year return of liquid funds and future yield of t-bilss. This can be misleading when interest rates have changed. You can look at the YTM of the liquid fund for a better comparison. e.g the YTM of Parag Parikh liquid is a bit more than 5.9., the expense ratio is 0.16. So you can compare a number like 5.8% with the 91-day t-bill yield.

There is still a difference in possible returns, but this could be compensated by the ease and liquidity of the liquid fund.

@simeon93 you can buy from secondary market but you need to understand the charges.

I buy tbills from rbiretaildirect. I buy 91d or 182d only as it gives some interest for my cash in hand. I usually do 20L at a time.

What I felt is on zerodha auction bidding there is brokerage charges of 0.06% (which comes to 1200/- for me)

You won't find liquidity on secondary market but even if you find the STT, stamp duty and othes make up around 0.12%. Which is double the bidding cost.

If you do the same in rbiretaildirect you will not have these charges and absolute gurantee your funds are safe.

However the down side is you don't have liquidity in rbiretaildirect bids. Even secondary market the bid/ask prices diverge. I am not sure if brokers allow it to pledge which will be beneficial for traders. So auction bidding or buying from secondary market may have some advantages