Buying T-bills (Treasury Bills) and Government Bonds directly v/s Investing in Liquid & Overnight Funds

kuskus1

Since the past few days I was toying with the idea of parking my idle money, which I might need in 4 to 5 months, in overnight funds or liquid funds. These funds invest a part of it in Government Bonds and T-bills.

Instead of investing in those funds why not buy 91 day T-bills directly? On doing so I will be getting much better returns.

Is there any disadvantage in direct buying of T-bills? Will there be a lot of hassle when I have to redeem them after their maturity??

@kuskus1 "I might need in 4 to 5 months" - if you are sure of using the money in the next 4-5 months, then T-bills are a good option for you. You will also need to pay the required taxes.

Liquid/Overnight funds are an option if the need for money is uncertain. It also saves you from paying taxes. Only need to pay the taxes when you sell them.

@manal The interest gained from T-bills will be added to your income when it matures, and you will need to pay the required taxes on it according to your tax slab (STCG).

But the money on liquid funds and whatever the interest gains on it will be kept inside it. You do not have to pay taxes until you sell it. This deferred taxation allows uninterrupted compounding on the gains. Also, if you sell it only after 3 years the gains will be treated as LTCG and the benefit of indexation can be used - which means only the "real" gains on top of the inflation will be taxed. Since the liquid fund returns broadly match the inflation, the real gains and taxes on it will be negligible/nil after the indexation.

@anotherblowhard As I told, liquid funds are a good option if the need for money is uncertain.

If you are sure that you will need the money after 3 years, then there could be better options depending on the case.