lukemaster130

hi, would like to check if buying property using a company can be used as an expense?

in the simplest terms, if i forecast my net profit of 200k for FY23 (prior to purchasing the property) and I then bought a property for 200k in FY23, will my PnL / balance sheet be 0 hence i pay 0 tax in 2024?

thanks

@lukemaster130 I believe the property will be your company asset and not expenses. In other words, your earning is still there but in the form of bricks and metals.

The legal fees and other expenses when purchasing the properties on the other hand can be deducted.

@mlorrainee
believe the property will be your company asset and not expenses. In other words, your earning is still there but in the form of bricks and metals.The legal fees and other expenses when purchasing the properties on the other hand can be deducted.

oh then why are cars tax deductible yet (although up to 100k or 150k) right? will cars be parked under assets / expenses?

@lukemaster130 If you're making 200k in revenue. You are better off talking to a Actual accountant that deal with tax. It's clear you don't have a firm understanding of assets, liabilities, revenue, expense. Since you think buying a house is somehow a expense that can offset revenue.

@lynnie7 Thanks for your honesty. are cars considered an asset? Because it can be under expenses up to 100k right? Just thinking along the lines if property can be considered like that too

@lukemaster130 Car are considered as an asset and cannot be classified as expense in your profit and loss account. It will show up as non current asset in your statement of financial position.

The only thing that can be classified as expenses in the profit and loss account are the hire purchase interest that is incurred to buy the car.

But you can claim capital allowance on it in tax computation eg 50k if the car is above 150k. But please note that depends on the audit firm, they may disqualify this cost from claiming capital allowance if the car is for personal use for the director of the company.

Also please seek consultation with a firm.

Edit : capital allowance is claimed over 4 years at 40% at the first year and 20% subsequent years

@mlorrainee The property is an asset, but if OP financed the property with a loan.

Then that loan is an expense/liability, you need to deduct this from your revenue to find the profit you are taxable on.