ella1838

I am from another country where, by the end of the day, there are massive discounts on meat. We buy a lot of it when we get it in the deal and freeze it. Does this tip hold valid in New Zealand?

@ella1838 Yes. I will often do this at Woolworths, less so elsewhere.

I’ll look out for items with a yellow clearance sticker, and either freeze them or build a meal for that day around it. I’ve learnt the areas of the store which you’ll find these, and always give them a check. It’s not always the end of day either.

The discount isn’t always huge, but it’s better than nothing.

@sarajaneward My local Countdown does a lot of clearance markdowns in meat, chilled foods (and general goods too). Local butcher also does this quite heavily as well.

If you’re freezing it anyway, there’s no difference that there are only a few days left on the clock. Worth it for a deal!

@sarajaneward I would actually go ask the butchery team when they yellow sticker their items, My sister works/sole dedicated meat worker at a Countdown (this applies to most stores as they reduced staff nationwide in the last restrucuture). Her first day back which is a Saturday is mostly spent getting meat out back on to the shelves as nobody has done it for a day or two, or yellow stickering items as they sat too long in the back while she was away/ didnt sell out the front.

@ella1838 Keep an eye on supermarket meat specials esp. New World. They usually have meat specials on until Sunday.

Apparently they can’t legally raise the price on any unsold meat back to their standard price.

So they orange sticker any meat that hasn’t sold for cheaper first thing on Monday morning, just to get rid of it. It’s within the best before day.

You can get some good deals for the freezer if your quick.

@ella1838 I think Sunday mornings hold the majority of reduced the clear labelled meat.
If you are in the North Island, head to a New World late evening and look for cooked chickens. Apparently, if there is no cooked chicken in the warming area, see them at the counter and they give you a voucher for a free hot chook next visit - apparently they must have got chicken for sale at all times

@ella1838 I work at a supermarket. Our butchers will reduce to clear the meats in the morning. The reduction will only be about 10 - 50% off. However, we have a lot of loyal customers who come in first thing each morning to buy their bulk cheap meat. We also have a similar system for veggies. People come in each day before close to get our reduce to clear vege boxes for $5-$10

@ella1838 My local Paknsave has discounted meat somewhere between 8.30 and 9.30 am. It is gone quickly.

I haven’t narrowed down fish yet, but it might be between 1 and 2 pm.

The discounts at the deli aren’t worth it anymore. It is still expensive

@ella1838 If there's clearance specials in NZ supermarkets it tends to be around midday/early afternoons when the staff have finished restocking and they have time to do markdowns before the evening rush.

It's handy but there's not usually insane deals.

@ella1838 Don't buy meat from the Supermarket, just watch the specials from the butchers and buy when on sale, you'll usually get 50% off compared to supermarkets. But don't buy from butchers when not on sale, usually more expensive. Buy a bunch when on sale