Buy an eSim rather than roaming when you’re next travelling abroad

david58

I hadn’t heard of this until last month, so thought I’d pass on how much cheaper it is to buy a disposable travel eSim when you’re abroad. Total gamechanger.

I’m with O2 (the only big UK network that post-Brexit still includes free EU data roaming for new customers) but outside the EU their data packages are very expensive. And O2 require buying rolling bolt-ons, etc, if you want the best value option.

Obviously there’s always been the option to buy a physical sim when you arrive at your overseas destination but it’s fiddly and you lose access to your UK number.

The virtual eSim process works so well - you just buy a set amount of data, scan a QR code and it just works for a fraction of the price. You then end up with two sims.

On an iPhone it’s super simple - you just say you want texts and calls through your UK sim and mobile data through your eSim. Then it’s as if you were at home. The phone battery also seems happier not using a foreign network for data.

The two services I used in USA and Mexico were:
1) Airalo, more options but quite restricted on timeframes which is annoying if you want more than seven days of data: https://www.airalo.com/ (lots of referral codes for $3 off first purchase around if you google.)

5GB for 30 days in USA is $16, so unless you’re streaming video that’d do you fine for a holiday. (Assuming you use hotel Wi-Fi etc.)

2) eTravelSIM, run by Manx telecom, no referral intro codes I could find. Had excellent customer service when I had an issue with setting it up: https://etravelsim.com/

At the end of the trip you just delete the eSim from your settings.

Anyway, tldr: I’ll never buy a roaming data package through my UK network ever again, eSims are the future, saved a load of money.

@david58 Are you on PAYG? I’m also with o2 but pay monthly and get the travel bolt-on for free so I was able to roam in the US and Canada using my own data allowance

(Actually didn’t realise this until I landed at the other side and had already bought an e-sim through airalo 🥲)

@fldad Hmm I’m also with o2 and investigated their travel bolt on when I went to the US but it was very expensive still (adding it is free, but you are still charged a daily rate). I ended up just getting a Three PAYG SIM with Go Roam which was far cheaper.

@jessicareckhardt Mine is called the travel inclusive zone bolt-on so it’s a bit different to the £6 a day one. Unlimited minutes, texts and data for 27 countries outside of the EU at no extra cost. Glad the Three one worked out for you though!

@fldad I got an O2 contract for this reason as I was travelling North America last year. What they don’t tell you is that the data is painfully slow, like dial up internet era slow. Refused to work at all in NYC

@diamonddolljeanette Mind you, when I was in the US myself while I was with Three, my signal didn’t work at all, even though it should’ve been fine. When I went back, this time on O2, I was just glad it worked well enough that it was better than Three (for me, personally).

@vicinity I find Three (and therefore Smarty) suck in big cities like London/Manchester/Birmingham, but work great almost everywhere else, with often surprisingly good coverage in the countryside

My partner is on O2 and finds the opposite, hers works great in the city but is patchy in less heavily populated areas

@heyilovegod2254 Almost identical to my experience. Was Three, rubbish in Leeds, ok out and about in the campervan. now O2, great in the city, awful in the countryside, mostly using partners Smarty as a hotspot.

@benvi85 I haven’t been to Leeds in years but yeah that doesn’t surprise me - I guess they prioritise geographic coverage so they can claim the whole “99% coverage!” thing which sounds good, but it’s pretty frustrating to use in a busy city centre because often I’ve only got a tiny amount of signal (fine for a phone call but useless for internet) or the data speed is so slow as to be almost pointless

@david58 I used (or tried to) airalo on a recent trip. I was without service for 10% of my trip, and every time it went down, I’d spend 1-3 hours jumping through hoops and sharing screenshots. Then every time they’d reply that their provider had solved the issue upstream and we’d get another few days before the next outage.

Support were a robot script and you couldn’t get past it without all of the screenshots and interactive conversation.

In the end it was easier to just buy a local sim and run it in my second slot.

@rajehn27 I had several bad experiences with Airalo. Once, a new esim refused to connect at all in the USA. The second time, it worked until day 3, where it randomly disconnected. And didn't connect again until the next day.

Because of these issues, and the non existent customer support for Airalo, I switched to Nomad. And it's worked flawlessly, the several times I've used it since then. Have used it in USA, Singapore, and Vietnam and no problems at all.