toddriehle

Hello,

I'm in my 30s (M), single, have 2 dogs, work from home (permanently), and have occasional meet-ups with our team in Metro Manila (not mandatory) and overseas (mandatory, pero mostly in Asia pa din naman). I have worked sa Metro Manila for 5 years, pero di ko nagustuhan ang CoL at traffic (no offense sa mga taga roon), so considering distance to airports (Clark and soon-to-open Bulacan), reasonable traffic and CoL, naghahanap ako ng prospective house na pamumugaran ko permanently sa Pampanga or Bulacan. I am currently renting.

I'm researching mga community houses na very small/compact (tipong 40-60sqm lang) from developers like Fiesta, Hauslands, Ayala, etc. Budget is 1.5M to 2M. I'll then buy a motorcycle to go out or if my pets need health care. Kapag magka-family man ako soon, then I'll sell this out if needed to transfer to a more spacious home, pero most likely within these 2 areas pa din.

My questions from r/phinvest experts:
  1. Any pros/cons of living between these 2 areas (Pampanga or Bulacan)? Which one has better access to human/animal hospitals, establishments, and/or lower cost of living?
  2. If you were me, which developer would you consider?
  3. Any comment/suggestion sa thought process ko? Practicality-wise.
Thanks in advance!

@toddriehle Bulakenyo here and I just want to share my experience.
  1. Bulacan has a lot of areas that are flood-prone. Better to visit the site you’re considering when rain occurs to actually how it looks but you can also consult Project Noah for reference.
A lot of areas in Bulacan already have malls and any establishment you can need. Given that, may mga areas din na may traffic but I’ve never seen it got to the point na Metro Manila traffic. Plus, marami ding convenient mga public transpo going to Metro Manila like p2p buses and soon-to-be-finished trains.

I believe the cost of living might be a little bit cheaper in Bulacan than in Pampanga. I’ve read in this sub na mahal na mga real estates sa Pampanga so that’s my assumption.

If you’re planning for a house and lot, 2M might not be enough for either Bulacan and Pampanga if you want to buy from a developer. For a downpayment, it’s enough but not for whole payment. I’ve seen listings ranging from 2M to 4M for a 2-storey 60sqm floor area. But if you buy a bungalow from a direct owner, 2M might be feasible

I think very practical to live outside of Manila if permanently WFH. Costs of living in Manila is overinflated and you’ll really save a lot in the province. But before committing to buying a house, maybe it’s better to rent first and see if you really prefer province life.

Good luck, OP!

@toddriehle There's a lot of cost involved sa Home Ownership. Repairs, Upgrades, Furniture and consider that you'll have your own space so you'll always be tempted to buy stuff that you don't need or you may need but can live without especially if you're earning decent.

2M is not enough for a small house. Yes, you can get one but expect repairs now and then. Plus, if you happen to not like the community, it's really hard to get out of it since you've already invested a lot. Hindi rin ganun kabilis magbenta ng property, it'll take you months or maybe years if you want the value you want.

Kung saan kayo titira if ever magka-family ka na of your own is better decided mutually.

What I would suggest:

Stick with renting and save as much as you can para pag-time na ready ka na for home ownership, di ka ma-stress. Home Ownership should be an enjoyable experience and not the other way around. Cash is King pa rin. Number 1 consideration always sa titirhan should be the community/environment. Research kung anong babagay sa lifestyle mo. Ex.: May mga subdivisions na bawal ang tricycle and strick sa cleaning daily. Maliit na bagay pero ang laking tulong sa peace of mind.

Since single ka with a pet, rent a space enough for you to be comfortable with pero the smaller the better since hindi mo kailangan mag fill in the blanks.

To answer your question about living in Bulacan or Pampanga. Hanap ka mga staycations/airbnb. Test mo lang every weekend. Ikot-ikot para malaman mo kung mas mura or mag-fit sa buhay mo.