Buy a house locally or an apartment abroad (hedging against a war)

beftev

Hi!

I am 29M male, married, without kids,. I live in Poland, make 20k eur net / month, own an apartment (just paid it off), have around 60k eur in our retirement accounts and have emergency fund for around 6 months. My wife earns around 2k eur net per month, we save up around 15k eur a month (plus retirement savings of around 1.5k eur per month).

In around a year or two we plan to buy a second property and we see two options:

1) buy a house in Poland and rent out our apartment.

2) buy an apartment in western europe (france or italy) and probably not rent it at all as this would be too much hassle doing it from the distance.

Under normal circumstances we would just do 1) as we like living in Poland very much, but with all the risks of war with Russia we thought about hedging against a war and being more geographically diversified. We would still plan to live mostly in Poland and probably spend around 3 months a year in the apartment in France / Italy.

I am very interested in your opinions, does it make sense? Or maybe better simply invest more in global stocks, keep the money in the foreign brokerage account and that would be our safety nest in case war comes to Poland and our local investments are wiped out.

@beftev Kind of crazy you save 15k net monthly but only have 60k saved.

I would buy properties abroad and pay a property managed like less than 100€ a month to manage it for you. I would also buy in Poland. Honestly I'd buy a lot of things with that salary

@jlew113 Well, I focused on paying of the apartment, which is worth 300k euro and was able to pay it off in less then two years. The mortgage was at over 8% so I prioritised this over retirement. And before that I was not making this kind of money :)

@beftev Makes sense! Honestly I think that is what I would do again, buy one abroad, buy a vacation place I could retire in (which can easily be 150k for example). Hedging against the war and economy is important. Part of that is having a roof over your head when you retire or move if you have to, etc and not having to worry about payments. But if you're young and expect to make this salary going forward, I would just keep putting it into a broad market ETF until I find a vacation home I'd like to purchase for example (planning my retirement to have two properties etc)

@volunteers I mean all the power to her, but I've yet to meet a person who actively wants a full time job. Most would either take a part time passion job or just work on hobbies given the opportunity.

@beftev I would be very careful about buying a property in France and just leave it there empty. I assume you are not aware of some issues with that.

In France, someone can literally take over your property and move in there, because it’s empty. Good luck getting it back again. Same as in Spain.

And Italy, I wouldn’t call that a hedge.

Do some research.

@beftev That plan wouldn't have worked for a Jew in the 2nd WW. South and north america are better targets for hedging in that case. Also, I wouldn't by any property that I can't easily liquify on need, not to say all management and maintenance costs.

@missymadden Sorry, didn't know that this question is too basic to ask. Also, making good money does not mean you are good at managing finances, it simply means that you are good at what you do. I do not work in finance and I know I have a lot to learn about, I know that my salary is a great opportunity to build wealth and I want to seize it. Hence my asking questions.