Bulk food from Costco then vaccume sealing and freezing portions.

@resjudicata 100% if you have the storage. I wait for really big rebates (sometimes they are ridiculous) and then buy up and freeze - last time I got a few of those 2.5kg American sliced cheese packages for under $3 each and froze them - will last me the year.

@snlmommy I wish there was a notification system for the rebates. I live 20-30 minutes away from Costco and if I knew that something was on a ridiculous rebate because it's close to expiry or they're making space, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

But, since I work during the day/week I only get to go on the weekends which is an adventure in itself but also fewer rebates from my experience.

@snlmommy Very nice.

However, My partner almost died when she was age 8 by eating meat that was frozen in the freezer that had somehow gone bad. Is there any reassurance you can share to help her understand this wont happen?

@resjudicata Wow I'm really sorry to hear that. While there is no way to give 100% assurance I would use some general common sense when repacking/freezing meat:

- Do not unfreeze and refreeze multiple times- freeze just the one time when you get it from the supermarket and then unfreeze when you want to use it

- Check the meat that it looks ok (colour and most importantly use your nose - slimy chicken/grey beef are bad signs).

- If you are repacking into smaller packs make sure to use gloves or at the very least clean hands and clean bags

- Consume within 1 year of freezing or 6 months to be even safer

@snlmommy 100%

Also - keep pre-frozen meat cold. Pack in containers/bags immediately and seal it up and put it in the freezer immediately. Name and date your containers/bags. Beef, lamb, and pork all looks the same when it's frozen.

When defrosting, put it on a plate in the fridge for 24 hours. Do not leave it on a counter top overnight. Do not leave it outside in the sun to defrost.

(Side note - I don't know how my parents and I survived the 80s with the above food practices.)

@resjudicata There are indicators you can buy and actually some home DIY methods for this, to see whether a freezer has defrosted in a power cut / been left open by someone.

https://www.amazon.com/Freezer-Meter-Thermometer-Traceable-Temperature/dp/B00OR2M7GC/

https://www.cakesandale.co.uk/when-is-a-penny-worth-more-than-1-pence/

Basically freeze a small container of water and put a heavy coin on top. If the coin is not on top of the ice ever, you know the ice in that container has become liquid at some point.

Remember also that a huge freezer of food, 1. Is a valuable investment 2. is "All your eggs in one basket" stuff. 3. Costs money in electricity each day to store frozen.

@keobong79 Hi, I’m Vetted AI Bot! I researched the 'COLDTI Traceable Temperature Monitor' and I thought you might find the following analysis helpful.

Users liked:
* Freezer meter provides peace of mind about frozen food quality (backed by 11 comments)
* Freezer meter alerts users to temperature issues (backed by 8 comments)
* Freezer meter is easy to install and use (backed by 10 comments)

Users disliked:
* Freezer meter does not accurately monitor freezer temperature (backed by 2 comments)
* Freezer meter is difficult to securely attach in freezer (backed by 3 comments)
* Freezer meter design could be improved (backed by 2 comments)

This message was generated by a (very smart) bot. If you found it helpful, let us know with an upvote and a “good bot!” reply and please feel free to provide feedback on how it can be improved.

@resjudicata My attitude runs to the other end. Only have a small freezer and just buy what you want.

When you add on the initial cost of a large freezer, vacuum sealer plus running costs you might be saving less than you think.

Add to this all of the forgotten food you find years later plus the risk of losing it all in a crisis....

I'm sure it works for some but our family of 2 adults and 2 kids manages on a large (but not a double door) fridge freezer that is approx 2/3 fridge and 1/3 freezer.

@gregoryzim Yep, there are variables. Depending on age / insulation / placement, a cool basement (area) and it will use bugger all electricity - a hot tin garage and opening daily for ice cream - lots more electricity usage.

Yes, factor all those things in. I understand that the 'prepper' types will maintain some form of backup power to keep the food frozen because you're going to lose a lot of money all at once if the power goes off for more than 1/2 a day or a day or whatever.

@resjudicata Yes, it's been really helpful, if you have the freezer space. We went with rebate meats to get the value, split & froze portions, and aim to use them in 6months or so, maybe up to 1 year but wouldn't generally go past that. Defrost them properly, and cook appropriately once defrosted.

I would if I was anywhere near a Costco. I do do it anyway with what prices I can get here though. For sure a saving, esp meat.

@resjudicata Absolutely. But also think about other high cost items cheaper elsewhere that can be vacuum packed. My Freezer is always full of discounted sliced and diced ham from large joints discounted at Christmas or Easter from countdown. Every season, every year a bargain.

@resjudicata I'm not a fan of Costco's model of being members-only, it seems hard to think of a reason for them having it other than it's designed to keep a certain class of people out

@3penntony From what I’ve read about them, their membership fee is basically their profit. So they supply the products at almost a cost price and a lot of the rebates are direct from suppliers. I’d take this info with a grain of salt though. My experience of shopping there is that it isn’t necessarily cheaper (outside of some of the crazy rebates/close to expiry deals) but it seems to be higher quality products.