Build garage / self contained unit Q¿

uponaway

Hey all,
Thanks for reading and responding :)

We have plans to knock down current garage and build a new one with a self contained unit above it, it will be detached from our current home. We are just at the super beginning of this process, we have applied for $200k and have no idea if it will be enough, but we wanted to start somewhere. If anyone has some insight how to pick builders, or maybe go with set companies that do such builds please advise us. We have no idea about the process, we intend to go to a draftsman prior to make councils meeting etc. What do I need to consider? I did hear about owner builder or something along this lines, not sure if it worth it, i have no knowledge or leads in this field.

Thank you.

@uponaway The level of documentation you will require for this will be the same extent as a dwelling because you are building a habitable ancillary accommodation unit. So on top of your drafty/architect, - start thinking about these other core items:

(1) Engineer for soil tests, footing design report, wind rating etc

(2) Engineer or timber detailer for structural details wall/roof framing, bracing, tie downs etc.

(3) Energy efficiency report to determine glazing and insulation requirements etc and prove it is compliant to current 6 star, soon to be 7 star rating.

Owner builder is not something I would recommended unless you are actually in the trade. You'll no doubt have trouble navigating the process and possibly expose yourself to fines or enforcement action for an array of different issues.

Honestly, my first point of call would be seeing if your local Council has a "duty planner" who you can go and talk to - to find out if they will even allow you to do this. That or a private planning consultant. Proceed from there once there is certainty.

@ryanbobyan OK, you are correct, you don't have to do the building but you should really know how to build one.

In NSW, if the building works is valued over $20,000, and the owner/builder is not and never has held general building or contractor or building supervisor qualifications, the owner/builder needs

- a current white card (general construction induction training card); and

- must undertake training from a Registered Training Organisation in following five units of competency:
  1. Apply WHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry and
  2. Read and interpret plans and specifications, and
  3. Undertake basic estimation and costing, and
  4. Plan and organise work, and
  5. Conduct workplace communication.
Then has to get an owner/builder licence from NSW Government (which requires plans, council approval, etc.

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/...ding-and-renovating/becoming-an-owner-builder