@marino13 Move to SZ/ZG/AI if you earn above average so you'll be saving more on taxes than you will be paying more in rent, it's what I did. But even in those places you can find a flat for reasonable prices that aren't really higher than in high-tax-Kantons from time to time.

If possible contract work through your own company than through agencies or being employed. You have a lot more freedom with expenses, deferring profits and extracting them for more favourable tax-rates through dividends.

But honestly most of Switzerland is fine tax-wise, even as a regular employee. Believe me it's A LOT better than any alternatives around it. I've been there and done that.

@xc37 You don't need to pay for internet, phone -> get prepaid and data only simcard.. Bam.. your yearly costs drops to 120chf per year.
Hairdresser - buy for 30chf cutting machine.

There are soo many unnecessary expenses.

@redeemed76 You are correct...kind of. The budget is a good starting point giving you a feel for what things cost in general. Everything can be sanded down, but this gives you a starting point of what is roughly the ballpark. Lets Take the point you addressed and break it down further:

Telefonie, Internet, TV, Serafe: 200 * 12 = 2400/ Year:

- Serafe: 335CHF/year (not negotiable)

- Internet & TV Package: 40/mt *12 = 480/y (Cheapes comparis)

- Cell: salt 15/mt 2*People = 360/y

- Cell Kids: Prepay 60/y

- Cellphones 2 new every 3 years: 400/y

= 1635/y

So less than the given 2400. BUT this is lowballing all the way. (Although there are ways to push this even lower of course like second hand phone etc.)

If you just increase to more Standard rates you hit the 2400. So now you know your pain is saving you some 700/y ...

@acad Good Phone you can buy new with 5 Y warranty under CHF250.

Serafe since JAN2023 not negotiable. :: 335/Y

Phone w.Internet Prepaid with unlimited data 130x2 ::260/Y

No need TV - or you can use HotSpot.

Cell Kids you can go with Tarif CHF5/month so 60/Y or 0, depends where you live..

So CHF600 is enough for anyone who live within Switzerland and use Whatsapp/Signal etc.

I'm personally not spend more than CHF120 per year for Internet&Telephony per year and have not spend much more in passed 5 years too.

@redeemed76 Gouzi00:As I laid out the above is based on a budget for the average family of 4 living on what most people in Switzerland would have in their live. I specifially mentioned that yes, as always you can shave off costs if you reduce things to the absolute minimum, depending on your needs and preferences.

But the price is reasonable:I would not like having no TV OR Internet/Wifi at home with 2 Kids!(I have no TV but good internet and Netflix for the kids which ends up costing some 35CHF/month)

I couldn't (easily) find "unlimited" internet for less than 12.95/mt and that is some lidl (maybe BlackFriday deals are better?)

So in the end it comes down to Convenience and Prefererence. You can slash the budget post to almost half and still stay quite decent. You can slash it to a quarter and get the bare minimum if this is not something you care about.

I would assume that money will flow to other things you do care about.

Budgets are starting points that you adjust to your life. It is useless to criticize one part of the budget only as it is always a whole.

@acad We all need internet connection, people just don't know, they can have 10Mb internet for CHF4 per month which is perfectly fine for any videoconference application or for full HD TV / Netflix.
If you pay CHF10 you get 25Mb which you can insert in GSM/WiFi router and use it for 4K TV or access point for 2 people..

It's not a suffering or limitation for anyone, just people tend to say ahhh 100Mb cost 35, 300Mb cost 45.. not big difference... In the end they will use Band speed once a week.. maybee.. but in general is speed anyway shared with 50-200 people so when we go back.. stable 10Mb is sufficient for 99% of we need and it's "only" for you..

So Telecom is the best place where to save money,.. then you can go eat outside instead of buying Beii Bossi shit during lunch break..

@redeemed76 I like that way of thinking!

Maybe adding a color or other way of showing which parts of the budget are more maleable.
  • Taxes, Rent, Insurance etc. are pretty hard to reduce or adjust.
  • Commuting (car or other), Some Medical, Food .. Can somewhat be adjusted depending on your preferences
  • Communication, Clothing are the ones with the most "give" if you put some effort into it. And should be one of the first to "attack" if funds are needed elsewhere.
Thanks, especially for keeping things civil and adjusting your communication until I got it. Not often that redit exchanges end in changed minds.

@acad Clothing you can put in tax as expense as working clothes (office workers).
You should not save on meals, but it doesn't mean buy products for higher price in different packing. Ie. You can buy cheese for CHF10/Kg by Bauer and the same one in supermarket for 22/Kg.
If you live near borders you can save about CHF500 monthly and purchase stuff in Germany. Im supporting locals however canned tomatoes and other stuff are imported anyways..