Bi-Weekly Advice Thread March 31, 2024: All Your Personal Queries

@henry_ I have been offered a deposit scheme from Federal bank:

Deposit 3 lakhs per year for 5 years. Year six is a cool off period and they will return 1,28,040 per year for 10 years starting year 7 till year 16. On year 16 they will also return the principal of 15,00,000 back.

Any opinions welcome.

@kevvin If you invested each year amount in FD and kept adding prior year principal + interest to current year principal only for 5 years then at the end of 6th year you will get slightly more in interest from
principal + interest accumulated across 5 years
assuming 7% FD rate.

If you consider year 7 (with year 6 also kept deposited in FD for cool off period) then the interest amount will be even more.

Plus you still have your principal to utilise immediately in case of any emergency.

In my opinion, you are giving money rather then making compared to simple old FD investment.

Note: No tax component / alternative investments considered to keep the calculation simple.

@dhernandez One key point. This stupid offer is NOT a deposit scheme. It is an insurance product being peddled by incentive driven bank RMs. Just throw the offer back on their face - I mean it....

@henry_

How to get NPS Acknowledgement/Receipt Number?​

For sometime, I have been getting emails saying that I need to update the photo and signature on NPS. But to do that online, you need Acknowledgement/Receipt Number when the NPS account was created. But I created this account years ago and there is no record of this number. I can see other emails from NPS, but it looks like this number was never sent in any email.

To talk to anyone on the customer care, you need a TPIN, which I don't have. To get it again, I need to submit the Acknowledgement/Receipt Number again.

I created the account initially through SBI as the POP-SP, which is famous for its user-friendly procedures.

I can login to CRA-nsdl website, I can login to the NPS website and do contributions , without any problem. But this seems a insurmountable hurdle.

@rwg319 Suggestion

Call 1800-222-080 \
Probably they will tell you that this is for enps accounts opened with NSDL and provide another no (non toll free) for other accounts. \
Try calling that no.

I called up the NSDL helpline and got my tpin setup with name/dob/nominee name only so it is worth a try.