Beware of N26 - Day one without access to my account

candleleigh

UPDATE: I kept calling support daily but the only thing they would say is that I would get an email with more information in the following days.

In the meantime I emailed N26 support and informed them that I would file a complaint with Bafin if they did not resolve the situation and/or told me what was going on. They didn’t, so I filed the complaint and emailed them a copy. They didn’t answer.

12 days later I regained access to my account and to my cards. To this day I still have not received any clarification about what happened. Needless to say, I switched banks. Fuck N26!

Hi there!

Yes, I know, preaching to the choir here complaining about N26 to reddit. But I think that maybe it could change someone’s mind.

I’ve been a (paying) user for about a year and used N26 as my only bank.

I’d like to advise people not to do this. Today I woke up and found out that my cards have been blocked due to a “routine check”. Transfers are also blocked. I’m basically locked out of the account.

Why, you ask? Probably because I had an abnormal amount of money coming in and out yesterday. I was buying a vacation with my parents. This was probably flagged by them.

So I called (premium, lol) support and hit a wall. They say that they don’t have access to any information about what’s going on, although I find it more likely that they just aren’t allowed to tell me.

I have no idea of how long I’ll be without money, if my account is going to be cancelled, or what they are even checking. They also won’t let me talk to someone who can tell me what’s going on.

That’s my cautionary tale. Don’t rely on N26 without having a second bank account. Their flagging system is trash and their customer support is disappointing. I know for sure that I’ll change banks as soon as this is over.

@candleleigh My account got flagged yesterday too. I received an in-app message to which I replied and provided some proof of where the money came from (Trade Republic). I Hope that’s gonna be enough for them.
But yes, this is annoying and I will close the account too as soon as I can.

@estherina You could tell me via DM, but how much money did you transfer from TR to have it flagged and needing an explanation? Was it more thank €10k?

@sashaw3 Yes it was well over €10k, which I guess automatically triggered the algorithms.
I just opened up yesterday a new bank account with a local Slovak bank and asked them if there is anything similar to this system in place, but they said no.
Made me wonder, how many countries have such “anti money laundering” (BS) going on in the EU.

And by the way, absolutely zero reaction from N26 yet to my reply…

@estherina It's mandatory, dutch banks have recently really upped their game after the EU criticised them for the 600th time, Slovakia is matter of time.

@estherina This is already normal in Croatian banks. It has happened recently. Basically any transcation over 10k euro or so automatically gets flagged and investigated bc of anti money laundering laws from EU.

@anonymousgal7 Just an automated reply about them getting the papers and that I should be patient while they are processing it.

Edit: the account is still usable. I emptied it completely

@candleleigh There is no need too limit yourself to one or two banks. Go multi/poly banking. Put (interest) savings where you got best (highest) interest, stockbrokers with the lowest fees, mortgage where you get best (lowest) interest, daily banking and bills paying where it's easy and free. And Creditcards from whoever gives best cashback, bonus and such. And always have backups. Moving money should be done in seconds.

@daryle Could not agree more. I have 4 banks (5 even + 1 for my wife). Short terms savings in 1 with a checking account, 1 for long term savings 9’ a fairly traditional/safe bank, 1 N26, 1 Revolut + 1 N26 for my wife. Checking account never have more than 1K (and actually on N26 or Revolut never more than 300€).

I’ve been lucky so far, been clients with N26 since 2017 I think and never had a problem.