margareth14830

Kia ora everyone,
Mum from outside NZ struggling a bit for funds here (despite gainfully employed as a teacher, no surprise), and wondering where I can look for the best selection/quantity/quality of kid’s clothing to outfit my little ones for winter? I am finding shops a bit bare where I am (West Auckland) and can’t bear to buy cheap new items that shrink after one use. Because I’m not from here I may just be unaware of where to look, if that makes sense.

Where I can look for a better source of pre-loved kids things for aged 4 and 7 year old girls? I also have an advocate through a women’s charity due to being a victim of family violence, would my social worker be likely to help me if I ask? I feel so ashamed that we’re struggling this much. Just want to keep my bubbas warm. Thank you so much for any ideas of where to shop used clothing, and so sorry to be in this position!

@margareth14830 One option might be buying a bulk lot second hand on trademe or Facebook marketplace. Sometimes people seek to sell off the clothes their kids have grown out of but don't want to bother piece by piece so they sell it all in one lot.

Just be careful of scams etc.

@margareth14830 There's a preloved kids clothes Market on in Ellerslie this weekend! And remember that nobody knows whether you're doing it for the financial savings or if you're a boujee crunchy mum who doesn't believe in consumer culture.

Quite apart from that there is zero shame in getting you and your kids out of a dangerous situation. I hope things become a bit easier for you soon.

I also tend to go between postie plus and baby factory depending on who has the best price/sale. Unfortunately op shops can be more expensive sometimes for poor condition clothes.

@margareth14830 We’ve scored amazing stuff from the Delta Ave Hospice Shop in New Lynn. Well, my partner has. Loads of nice hand-knitted woollen clothes, even a Ralph Lauren coat. You’ve got to go regularly though.