Hi, everyone.

Is it wise to invest on a memorial plan? If so, do you guys recommend any memorial plans for me? Wrote down my financial stats of sorts below as a guide as this might factor into the recommendations. And what’s the best payment plan (annually, bi-annually, quarterly, monthly)? Just want to prepare in any case. And are most memorial plans transferrable?

Thank you!

Financial Stats

• 24K monthly salary
  • currently paying for term insurance (1,500 per month)
  • EF at 50% (aim is to have 130K EF)
  • no investments (yet)

@jesuspleasesaveme I want to resurrect this post because I'm on the look out for a good memorial plan. I also think this is something that is not much discussed here. My goal is to lessen (if not completely avoid) out-of-pocket expenses for my family when I die.

So I'm also looking for a good plan that has the following features:

• Direct Cremation Service
  • Pick-up and Transportation of Remains
  • Optional Rider for Chapel Viewing or Use of Mortuary Chapel after Cremation
  • Processing of All Necessary Government Permits
  • Assistance of a Funeral Director/Family Counselor (or basically a point person for all memorial concerns up to inurnment)
  • Assignability/Transferability of Plan
  • Term Life Insurance/Cash Benefit
  • Flexible Payment Terms (Installment, Bank Transfer)
  • Immediately Usable
  • Waiver of installment payments upon death

Any recommendations?

I also did my own research and so far the top memorial plans I keep seeing are: St. Peter Life Plan and PhilPlans. I heard good things about these two but I still have some reservations. Popular death care companies usually have their own pre-need companies like Loyola, La Funeraria Paz, Eternal, and others.

For one, St. Peter memorial plans are on the expensive side. I think this is primarily because they're designed for traditional Filipino families. All of their plans (even the cremation plans) come with at least three (3) nights use of their viewing chapels. I think this is really where they earn. If I remember correctly, one night rental of a viewing chapel already costs Php 10-15k a night.

Another issue I have with St. Peter is that you're basically tied with St. Peter Chapels. I'm not sure how to deal with overbookings or overflows. But, there's a high chance that planholders are bound to use their chapels.

St. Peter also depends on their agents for payments. They still don't they accept bank transfers. Mano-mano pa rin ang singilan. But I heard, St. Peter's services are all-in. Iiyak ka na lang daw talaga.

On the other hand, PhilPlans has a good number of accredited mortuaries and you basically decide on how much your plan would cost/cover. When it comes to service, it's hugely dependent on the accredited mortuary that the planholder contracts with. So it's easier to customize one's funeral arrangements and pay only what is really needed. However, I observed that PhilPlans tend to favor their sister companies—Heritage and Nacional.

So I'm still on the fence regarding this.

@dokimas Thanks for this, lifeohhumbleservice! Heard a lot about St. Peter's as well, and I also share your concern on yung pagka-tie nung plan sa mga chapels nila.

I think best option now is PhilPlans. Haven't heard much, but with thew ay you described it, I think I'll look into it some more.

My grandma passed away a few years ago, and my aunt got her an APEC life plan. Viewing was at La Funeraria Paz-Sucat, but I'm not sure yet what the plan included. Will talk to my aunt and refer any of the details here.

@dokimas That's where you earn po if youre going to use their chapels because a planholder get it for free.. + everything that you've mentioned, picking up of cadaver, embalming, casket, flowers, tribute, transportation of remains.. + value added services like insurance, x3 benefits accident insurance, transferrable, assignable, 1 mo. of paying only you cqn use the service already with ccash assistance for fmily pa. if you sum it all up without a plan its x3 the plan, hassle free you get to pay it for 5 yrs. msg me po.. sa agent lang po ang bayad diretso issue ng resibo kasi

@jesuspleasesaveme Hi! I don't have the answer to your question but may I ask kung what is your term insurance? Was trying to get term insurance kasi pero not interested yata yung mga FA na kilala ko kapag hindi VUL lol. TIA.

@moonlit I don't have one yet eh. :( But I know Sunlife offers so might as well ask the company I already have history with.

Sidenote, totally agree with you! FAs seem to have no answers all of a sudden when asked about term insurance. It reveals what they're really after, I guess? :(

@jesuspleasesaveme I think Sanctuarium is also worth checking into because of the all-in memorial service it offers. However, it's not offering pre-need memorial plans per se. Based on my research, Sanctuarium only offers pre-paid memorial services. So one is basically just paying for the services in advance with no added benefits of a traditional memorial plan could offer. Moreover, full payment is needed for one to be able to avail of its services.