brihaha

Im somewhat of a connoisseur myself, but on a budget and i think i know the best cheap reds at the supermarket, its:
- Taylors Promised Land Cabernet Sauvignon ( the one with a seahorse on the front). It is rich, balanced, complex and easy to drink, $13.99 at New World currently

What is your pick for best cheapest wine?

@abelievingman But seriously, if you make it into Sangria or Mulled Wine if it's a box of red, or into a Spritzer if white, then nobody will really notice much at all if you're using a cheap wine to make it out of.

@grace911 Apparently Cleanskin takes the dregs from the rest of the industry so it’s realistically a lottery. You could be getting a bottle that’s leftover from an amazing Shiraz, or leftovers from a terrible one.

@cameronandjulie Cleanskins are typically excess produced from bumper harvests or cancelled export orders. They are a form of artificial scarcity. Can't have too much of your expensive wine floating around or it devalues the bottles your customers have paid a premium for.

From wikipedia:

Cleanskin wine was introduced to Australia in the early 2000s as a way for the wine industry to cope with a massive oversupply of wine, and a resulting drop in prices.

@grace911 Second the clearskin.

For the price it is great stuff.

Worth also checking out the box range. Winesmiths do a very respectable Shiraz and per 100mls, it was something like 0.90$ a serve which honestly I don’t think is too bad. PAK’nSAVE often has the cheapest option.