myriamdo78

Hiya! Trying to find the best quality shampoo and conditioner I can get at the warehouse or countdown (don’t have new world or paknsave where I live). Any help appreciated!

@myriamdo78 My Aunts a hairdresser and my mums cheap. My aunt told me with the cheap stuff my mum buys (what's on sale), it is best to change out the brand of shampoo you use. Don't stick to the same one. Even with the expensive stuff, you should swap it out now and then

@rduke If you use the same one all the time then you can get buildup on your hair, by switching or using a clarifying shampoo occasionally your hair will feel much better.

@myriamdo78 You might like to try a shampoo bar? You can lather the bar up in the shower or cut/shave a little off? They can last a long time and there are so many different brands in the market

@myriamdo78 This is one item I've realised is not worth budgeting for. I use something like 1L shampoo a year and if I pay $10 for it or $20 it will not make a considerable difference. Its not worth saving 80 cents a month to fuck up your hair.

If you want something budgety but not terrible you can use Tres/Pantene.

@snlmommy Long and/or oily hair can make a massive difference to how much you need. I'm in that camp and agree that Tresseme (the big bottles, and only when on special) are probably the best bang for buck if you still want decent quality.

As an alternative I've switched to a St Clements shampoo bar from Ethique - higher cost outlay but I've been able to train my hair into only needing two washes a week so I use less. You have to make sure it dries out when it's not in use, though, or else you burn through it. They're available at my local Unichem and I try to pick them up when I see them on sale.

@myriamdo78 This is not an area where you can necessarily save depending on your hair. Personally I don’t like tresemee and Pantene they dry my hair out and make it bushy and frizzy. I’m allergic to something L’Oreal put in their products. My go to is Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner which I usually buy on special for around $5 a bottle. I’m grumpy that companies have moved from 200ml bottles for $5 ($3 on special) to 400+ml bottle for $10+ ($5 on special)

@myriamdo78 I recommend dove. Just get it when it’s on special. It’s not the cheapest but I think it is the best value of supermarket brands. Whenever I switch to a cheaper one my hair ends up too oily or too dry.

@myriamdo78 Dove intensive repair is actually better than you'd think. The ingredients are a bit more aligned with the more expensive brands, and in my experience it isn't too damaging.

@myriamdo78 Elvive and Garanier Fructis were OK for my hair - I have thin hair and oily scalp. Solid shampoo like Anihana last longer than bottled stuff. Also this may sound weird but if you have an oily scalp I'd recommend washing off the shampoo build up with a little bit of baking soda. Also works great as a facial scrub and gentle body scrub, doesn't smell as nice as fancy stuff but is much cheaper to buy.