Basic FIF Guide

andrewn

From what I have seen on this sub, there seems to be a lot of questions around Foreign Investment Funds (FIFs) and the way that income is calculated.

I am providing what is hopefully a brief, simple and easy to understand guide below and is applicable to individual investors only.

This is also only a basic guide, for more complex situations a discussion with a professional may be warranted.

I hope this helps answer some basic questions people have about FIFs and the way they are treated for tax purposes.

How do I know if my investment is a FIF investment?

A FIF investment is an offshore investment that is either:

- A foreign company

- A foreign unit trust

- A foreign superannuation scheme

- An insurer under a foreign life insurance policy.

Am I required to make a FIF income calculation?

A De-Minimis exemption exists for Natural Persons (Individual Investors), if the total ~cost~ of your FIF investments does not exceed $50,000 during the year, you do not need to calculate FIF Income. Instead you just return the actual dividends received (if any) from the FIF investments. This amount can be $100,000 in the case of joint ownership as the $50,000 would then apply at an individual level.

Please note that the De-Minimis exemption only applies to ~individual~ investors, other entities (companies, trusts etc.) are required to calculate FIF Income regardless of the overall cost.

If your ~cost~ basis is >$50,000, then FIF income needs to be calculated.

Example:

Individual Investor A

Total ~Cost~ of FIF Investments: $45,000, Market Value: $60,000

Individual Investor B

Total ~Cost~ of FIF Investments: $55,000, Market Value: $40,000

Only Investor B would be required to make a FIF calculation as the De-Minimis exemption does not apply because their cost basis is >$50,000. Investor A could, however, elect to treat their investment as a FIF and return income under the FIF rules.

Another exemption that exists is for ASX-listed Australian Companies. It is important to note that there are some that are still regarded as a FIF Investment. You can check if an Australian investment is exempted via the IRD website:

https://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax/...t-fund-australian-listed-share-exemption-tool

How do I calculate my FIF Income?

I am only going to discuss the two most popular methods for FIF Income calculation that would apply to 95% of people, the FDR (Fair-Dividend Rate) method and the CV (Comparative Value) method.

The calculation that provides the total lowest value would be used. The method you choose must be applied to all investments, you cannot ‘Cherry Pick’ based on what is lowest at an individual investment level.

1. FDR Method: 5% of the Market Value at the beginning of the tax year + Quick-sale Adjustment

The quick-sale adjustment is not discussed. The quick sale adjustment applies when a FIF investment is purchased and sold within the same tax year.

2. CV Method: Closing Market Value + Gains – Opening Market Value + Purchases

Example:

Investment Cost: $50,000

Market Value as at 1 April 2023: $45,000

Market Value as at 31 March 2024: $55,000

Dividend Issued: $500

FDR Method: 45,000 x 5% = $2,250

CV Method: 55,000 + 500 – 45,000 = $10,500

Assuming only this investment exists, the lowest value would be used, being the calculation under the FDR method. $2,250 would be returned as Income, the $500 dividend would be excluded income for income tax purposes.

The above calculations would be made for each of your FIF Investments.

If you end up with a negative value (loss), the loss cannot be claimed and your FIF Income would be $0. If a loss is incurred where you are forced to use the CV method, then this can be claimed.

Example:

Total FIF Investments - FDR method: $10,000

Total FIF Investments - CV method: $9,000

You would still use the lowest of the two values. $9,000 under the CV method would be returned as income in your tax return.

There are also investments where the FDR method is prohibited and you are forced to return them under the CV method.

Example:

Total FIF Investments - FDR method: $9,000

Total FIF Investments - CV method: $10,000

Total FIF Investments – Forced CV: $500

You would return the FDR Calculation + the Forced CV calculation, total income $9,500.

As mentioned above, there are other methods to calculating FIF income, only the two most common methods have been discussed and would likely apply to 95% of individual investors.

FIFs can be a complex area of tax and if you are unsure, you should seek professional advice.

@snamjan28 Hmm not really.. Investing the first 49k or so in a foreign fund, you effectively have yourself a 50k FIF free allowance. At 49k or so, you can then switch to a PIE fund (investing in foreign equities) and start paying FIF.

@andrewn Probably good to also note that in most investment platforms, your money in your wallet is put into a money market fund which counts towards FIF.

So, if you have $49,000 in stocks and add $2,000 to your wallet or receive $2,000 in dividends, this will put you under FIF.

@nafguy Based on OP’s response below. I don't think this is correct. If you'd reinvested the dividends sure. But holding cash in a foreign bank account is not a foreign investment.

@andrewn "How do I know if my investment is a FIF investment?"

A lot of people assume that being listed on the NZX makes a company FIF exempt. This is not correct, and there are still a few foreign companies listed on the NZX that are subject to the FIF rules, e.g. FCT (F&C Investment Trust PLC) and BIT.

@andrewn Apologies for the troglodyte question and thank you very much for putting this together!

Does the IRD calculate these requirements? If, say, you have 60k in offshore investments, and you don't bother calculating with either of these methods, will the IRD just lump you with a tax bill at the end of the financial year? I know a lot of investment providers share information freely with the IRD.

Are there any instances an individual would be required to calculate and declare this to the IRD, or can they let IRD calculate it and just pay the tax bill when it comes out?