Bank of Austria lost a 12,000 Euro Transfer, Advice needed

merebear

Hi guys,

I haven't posted here before, so let me know if this is not the right place for this

So basically, I am an American living in austria for the past few years. for the previous visa application, a sum of money was required to be displayed on my austrian bank account

Naturally, i did what many do, and some family transferred me the amount, into my US bank account, and I then used Wise to move it into my austrian account. I showed the bank info and got the visa.

Now comes the problems. For whatever reason, I felt that it was a good idea to, rather than using wise, just make a direct bank transfer, from the Bank of Austria account into my US bank account. for the full amount of 12,000 euros

Of course, since it is a large amount, i went through great lengths to make sure the account information was accurate, even phoning the US bank wire transfer department ahead of time letting them know of the transaction and verifying my details.

This was a month ago. I visited a Bank of Austria branch, presented all of this information, and did the transfer, getting a little receipt and the assurance that the funds would make their way towards the US account within the week.

However, weeks later, and they have not.

So I went back to Bank of Austria, alerted them of this, and they conducted a credit trace, which illustrates that.... the funds were credited to the beneficiary (me). They also claimed to have reached out via SWIFT message to US bank, receiving no answer.

Meanwhile, US bank claims that they have not only no record of any pending wire, they have never even received a SWIFT message, and there is no indication of any investigation on my account at this time.

I am really at a loss for what to do, Bank of Austria insists that their role in the investigation is over, and US bank isn't able to trace a wire that they cannot see. I must stress again that all of the US bank information i presented for the transfer was correct, leaving me even more confused.

Any advice on how to proceed here would be great.

TLDR: International Wire gone missing, searching for next steps

@merebear All banking transactions will have 2 sets of codes to complete the "handshake"

Get Bank Of Austria to provide proof of transaction and transaction ID unique to your remittance. Failing which, demand a refund as they have not acted on your instructions.

IF they have the above said code, pass them to your US bank to confirm details.