Bank ‘took’ money from me for five years. 😳

tillman7777

This is long, for that, I do apologize.
And, I am unsure as to whether or not this is the correct place for this. You may be as well, as I try to elucidate the situation.

To attempt to sum up; I am considered ‘totally disabled’ due to mobility issues, and have been for nearly 8 years. Based on this, I am in receipt of CPP-D as well as employer disability benefits. Both are up to the age of 65. I am 52. Stats show that someone entering this financial position will either ‘lose their home’ or ‘claim bankruptcy’. So far, I’ve managed to stave off both, by a thread…..a teeny, tiny, thread.

In January of this year, I decided to access some equity in my home, just to get ahead of some debt and bills.

This wasn’t of concern, as I had over $100k of equity. But, really, NO ONE wants to do that. It’s the last choice. At least it was for me. I was asking for $20k.

A week before the papers were to be signed (of note, I qualified for much more than the $20k I had requested, so decided to ‘borrow’ a bit more of my equity for some low cost home renovations) I received a phone call from my branch. They just wanted to ask a question before they went ahead and did the approval.

The question?
‘We were just wondering why you have so much money in your tax account’.

My response:
‘I have a tax account?’

When my mortgage payment comes out of my account, my monthly property tax payment does as well. Then, at June 30 each year, the bank pays my tax bill. So, this monthly amount goes into a ‘tax account’.

Ok, so going back FIVE YEARS, when CPP-D was approved and my disability benefits became monthly as opposed to bi-weekly, I had to change my mortgage payment to monthly. Adding years to the amortization 😞

BUT, the bank didn’t change the tax payment. Yes indeed, they were taking out about 2.5x what they should have, along with my mortgage payment.

Should I have noticed?
Yes. And I did, but the math seemed to math. My tax bill arrived and was paid in full every year.

Should the bank have noticed?
I don’t know.
Does anyone here know?

This tax account that I did not know I had, contained nearly $15,000.00. I was absolutely stunned.

So, they held back a year’s worth of taxes (2024) and deposited an even lump sum of $11,000.00 to my account. I asked at the time of signing new mortgage documents for a statement of this account. I was told I would receive it.

It is now a month later and I have followed up three times.

I feel I am at the least, entitled to a statement from this account. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That’s A LOT of (my) money to be sitting in an account that isn’t earning interest for five years…..that I knew nothing about.

I asked about this. The response was ‘well, tax accounts don’t really accrue much interest’

My response was ‘of course, for 12 months, they wouldn’t….but for five years?!’ No response.

I’d not have had to access my equity, if they’d not been ‘taking’ this extra money. I’d not have gone mad every month trying to figure out; how to pay bills, what I was doing wrong, how many other corners to cut. I’d not have wondered if bankruptcy maybe was an option. I’d not have considered selling my home as an option. Basically, I was out of options which is why I accessed some equity.

I am aware that I could have called off the refinance and just accessed/used this found money instead. My issue is, I could have MUCH BETTER used this income on a monthly basis for the last five years, which would have then negated the thought of having to access my equity.

And yes, had I been close to bankruptcy or forced to sell my home, this money would have been unearthed at some point, possibly saving the day.

It’s the sheer emotional and mental toll taken, while managing seriously difficult and extremely painful physical pain. I know, there is no price tag on this kind of pain and suffering, but to say this situation just about threw me over the edge…….would be entirely accurate.

Please understand I am not against banks, I don’t loathe them for their huge profits etc. I came from a high income earning background, I’ve never had issues with my bank. I’ve never had to walk in and sign anything, a phone call was all that was needed. Obviously, I am now the antithesis of that client and I get it.

Thank you for reading. Any professional suggestions are welcome. And again, I can’t figure out where this story would be most appropriately posted. If it isn’t here, I am glad to delete and post elsewhere.

I am asking for advice as to what to do about this situation and whether I escalate and request interest on the amount ‘found’.

Is it a bank thing? A legal thing? An ombudsman thing?

This is long. I appreciate your patience.

@tillman7777 OP what happened to you was AWFUL. I would edit what you wrote here (facts, then the impacts to you and your mental and physical health and finances) and use that to escalate it within the bank asking for compensation for distress and lost interest.

When you write it out it may help to do it by chronologically to help the reader understand, then summarize the emotional stuff. You did very well considering the enormous stress you must be under right now. This was outrageous.

If you don't get any joy from within the bank I would then consult a lawyer.

ps - you do know that you can claim upgrades to your house if they're related to accessibility?

@wmusic You are very kind 🫶🏻
I think much of my intention regarding this post was to say what you have suggested. It’s just ‘to whom’? If anyone. I’m not looking for anything big wow of a monetary reward/award. But jeez, I have wondered on so many occasions as to who else has a secret savings account they’re unaware of? 🤷🏼‍♀️

@tillman7777 Did you consent to this tax account being opened? I would have expected account opening documents that stipulate the terms and conditions of- namely if there was any interest to be paid and how the account works.

If you have these and agreed, you will have a harder case. You can still make a formal complaint and hope they try to make it right / give a gesture of good faith as it wasn’t set-up efficiently or explained well.

If there is no account opening documentation, you could press them they did not act with your consent and you could ask for redress to compensate for the loss. It won’t be much, but still something.

@tillman7777 I work for a bank. The tax account paid interest equal to the mortgage rate. That may differ from bank to bank though.
You should be able to get a statement.
Also the taxes are paid in advance, meaning when they pay in June it’s for June to December. If you pay them yourself to your municipality it’s on time monthly, not in advance. If you requested they close the tax account you’ll get all of the money in it and your next tax payment would be due in June since April and May are already paid.

@brothermaurice The tax account doesn't PAY the customer any interest. It wil CHARGE interest equal to the mortgage rate if the customer is in a negative tax balance, i.e. the bank paid your taxes for you.

@tillman7777 I didn’t read your whole post post I get a yearly statement from my bank and it shows my tax balance. I assume all banks send this out at the beginning of the year. You should check your mail thoroughly.

@athanasius1007 Oh! I do get a statement from the city. That shows taxes owing and what was paid. It does not show an account ‘balance’ so to speak. The only other annual statement I receive is from the bank and it indicates the mortgage decrease for the year. Interest and principal paid etc. it does also show the amount of taxes paid, but not an amount other than what was paid vs amount of property tax for that year. I asked the bank why I was not aware of the account. They said (paraphrasing) ‘everyone has one, it’s like a screen behind your mortgage info screen, we only use it once a year…’ it’s not an account in the sense that a client opened it, it just goes with your mortgage info. That is how I interpreted it.

@tillman7777 When you purchased the house, depending on how much you down payment, the bank would categorize you as “less risk” or “more risk”! I don’t know the exact percentage, but let just say 25%.

So if you down payment at least 25% of the purchase price, then you are “less risk”, and thus you manage your own property tax. On the other hand, you’d be “more risk”, then the bank would manage the property tax (i.e.: they’d collect the approximate the property tax amount along with the mortgage amount, the mortgage amount is theirs to keep, and the tax amount goes to the … I guess tax account on your property and will pay to the municipal government whenever they ask for it)

I’m guessing you started with the “more risk” category and gradually moved to the “less risk” category. Along the way, that account got missing in translation, fall into the back burner and forgotten!

I guess you’re kinda right that they “took” the money from you, but they themselves wouldn’t dare to do anything with it, since it’s (supposedly) government money. And it’s their (the bank) responsibility to collect it

It sounds like you’ve been managing your own property tax, and now you have some extra funds in the (new found forgotten) tax account. You can close it and take the funds out or do something meaningful with it.

@gerard_chew Oh my gosh. You are brilliant. I had completely forgotten to suggest this in my original post (damn thing was long enough already) to confirm that I WAS NOT in this position. Current home had 40% down at purchase. Many thanks for your brain though! 🫶🏻

@tillman7777 I would say don’t over complicate it. Take your money and move on. Interest? It was sitting in a tax account; it’s not a savings account. I don’t think that’s even called for to even mention. This is a 50/50 you and them mistake; one should monitor their finances to ensure you aren’t over paying anyone.

Interest in the amount is a wild take to me. I don’t get why you would expect interest.

@hirono Because the bank made an error and withheld more funds than they should have for five years? Funds that could have been invested elsewhere and earning interest?

Yes the OP should have noticed, but the bank should not have made the error to begin with, or should have caught it sooner than five years later.

OP, ask to escalate your complaint within the bank and state you're looking for compensation for lost interest on the funds. If you don't get a response within 56 calendar days, or you're not satisfied with their final position, you can escalate to OBSI.