@feudum If you're dead set on changing the car go for a used BMW 3 or 5 series. 2L diesel automatic, anything 2016 or newer are fairly bullet proof and won't need much more than oil and filters changed, if you're any way handy you'd service it yourself for ~€100 every year or 10k KMs.

They're very economical on diesel, safe, comfortable and once someone else already took the big depreciation hit they hold their value pretty well. I have two, a 08 320d with 330,000km which flies through the nct every year and a 2016 520d with 120,000km. Both are fantastic cars to drive, much better than some newer cheaper cars.

@feudum €450 or no repayments is your current situation. Getting into a €450 PCP on a second hand hybrid seems a little crazy in my view. I know someone who recently bought a hybrid Corolla and regrets the decision. Stick with your diesel for now. The car market will be a different place in 6-12 months.

@feudum Have you considered electric?

An MG4 could easily cover 200kms
EVs are automatic.
Should be less than 30k, so a little over your budget
High mileage on EVs doesn't really count the same as ICE

You could even get lucky with your employer offering free charging (many do), so effectively free fuel.

@db9 Agreed on this, hybrids are really only beneficial for shorter journeys, doing a 200km round trip will still be more efficient that a regular petrol or diesel, you would still have to top up your fuel regularly enough, so on top of that 450, you could probably add 150 in fuel per month. So the reality would be that getting the older Toyota would end up more expensive than the MG example above over time. Plus you would probably better a better finance rate on the new MG.

@feudum Go electric, you can put ~200km each night in a 4 hour window Energia are providing at the moment for around €2.50, ID3 58kWh battery will do the job, great car, they are starting to go below 20k the first edition 2020 models. Alternatively, drive your current car into the ground.

@feudum Older automatics can be tedious maintenance wise. Especially without the proper fluid changes. Got my brothers older automatic yaris and it needed a clutch / flywheel after 5 months.

Personally, if you can afford it, the quality of life upgrade a newer automatic brings is unbeatable. Life is short. Might as well be comfortable and you can't get better than a Toyota.

@feudum Fyi all Toyotas come with a 10 year 185k km warranty and 15 year hybrid battery warranty If you service with Toyota (which is quite cheap). Same for lexus.

So you could buy a cheaper used Toyota/lexus hybrid and have warranty.

IMO id stick with your current car and save money twords buying a car outright instead, or with a significant deposit (should be achievable given your outgoings are so low).

Financing seems like a great idea at the time but say in 2 years you want to buy a gaf or something, they crucify you on affordability if you've loans, unless you're a very high earner.