Average Tax Burden by State

@inhisservice1020 I was just poking. Yeah, they usually include DC in these kind of comparisons. I was stationed there for four years over a decade ago. I want to say our rent at the time was $2700 for a 3 bedroom townhouse (one of four units). I can't imagine what it's now.

@kretyen001 Interesting graphic. I think I’m pretty close to my state’s 9.3% average. Added up property and income tax from last year and got 7.9%, but when you add in sales tax (which I’m not going to try to calculate) I’m sure that’s another percentage point or two.

This is helpful for dispelling the myth of “low/no income tax=low taxes.”

Edit: What I should have said is it dispels the myth that state income taxes= all state taxes. I’ve heard people talk about states like Texas or Florida being “state tax free” when the map makes it clear they’ll still tax you in other ways, and states like Washington and Texas can still end up being more “middle of the road” for tax rates with high property and sales taxes, despite a lack of an income tax.

@phil4508
This is helpful for dispelling the myth of “low/no income tax=low taxes.”

It's not a simple relationship where no income tax = low taxes, but there is a clear correlation. For example, all of the 5 lowest total tax burden states are no income tax states (including NH and TN as no income tax states). The main outlier was Washington. Washington seems to make up the 0% income tax by having the highest average sales + excise tax burden in the US.