Auto insurance law against increase in premiums

leadersmash

I recently involved in a not at fault accident (the case is closed and my policy didn’t pay out) some of my friends mentioned that even if I am not at fault I could still see an increase in rates since I got into an accident however I found this GA law online “O.C.G.A. § 33-9-40 forbids insurance companies from increasing premiums or canceling policies due to a policyholder making a claim after a crash, provided that the insured individual was not responsible for the accident”

Will this protect me from any insurance premium increases? I know it seems cut and dry but I also know that insurance companies will do things however they want.

@leadersmash That law protects you from rates going up for this accident. It does not protect you from your rates going up for unrelated reasons, like market conditions. Inflation is real and so are the increased costs to fix cars.

@leadersmash Do not call customer service if you see your rates increase and then yell at them saying you know your rates went up for the not at fault accident and threaten to call the insurance commissioner. As it has been said, not at fault with not surcharge on your policy. And I'm not saying you will call and yell, but having worked in service, we get it all the time.

@leadersmash It will protect you from your rates going up because of that accident.

It will not protect you from raising premium. Virtually every single person had their rates increased last year.