ASHP and Solar PV, are they worth it? - my experience and data

@ghaynes Excellent write up.

I looked into a similar setup a couple of years back, and again recently with energy price rises.

I think one of my key takeaways is that PV, ASHP and a battery all appear to be underwhelming investments on their own, but as a system they deliver a benefit that's greater than the sum of their parts (so I can genuinely use the word "synergy" here without it being corporate buzzword bullshit). So one my my key findings was that I'd probably wanna drop the cash to get them all done, rather than doing it piecemeal.

Another takeway was to disregard analyisis from people that assume the battery is worthless the second its 10y warranty runs out. Home batteries, especially LFP ones are temperature-controlled and charged and discharged gently, so likely to experience very good lifespan and low wear. Personally I'd hope to get at least 20 years out of a reputable home battery.

A similar example is cars - my car has a three year warranty and would be a terrible investment if I assumed it broke after three years. Instead I assume it'll last the UK average of 15 years. Same applies to home batteries - the warranty is likely to be significantly less than the actual life.

My final takeaway is that it would be a little bit of a leap of faith / hobby project. Current lekky prices have made the ROI periods much shorter, but I think it's still up for debate whether you'd be better off investing in the stock market instead.

But a bit like buying home insurance, it would be somewhat of a safety net to cushion me against pessemistic future scenarios. So there's an intangible value there in being able to damp out energy price swings.

All in all, I wish I'd have been able to get one when I looked into it a couple of years ago. The ROI was pretty neutral back then, but I'd have been laughing all the way to the bank now...

@presh201
My final takeaway is that it would be a little bit of a leap of faith / hobby project. Current lekky prices have made the ROI periods much shorter, but I think it's still up for debate whether you'd be better off investing in the stock market instead.

That's honestly what this is for me rather than a true "investment". The ROI is just to make the financial justification, but my main objective was to minimise our energy costs with the right systems and not have to sacrifice comfort. I'm also really excited about Vehicle2Grid charging whereby a much bigger EV battery could be used to power my home on days I don't need the full range.

All in all, I wish I'd have been able to get one when I looked into it a couple of years ago. The ROI was pretty neutral back then, but I'd have been laughing all the way to the bank now...

Yeah I definitely toyed with the battery idea when we first moved in but didn't have the data to back it up. I probably got my order in before the prices really shot up but still would have been even cheaper before the energy crisis kicked in last year.

@ghaynes Yeah absolutely. To be honest even if it did take 10 years to break even and then immedaitely broke, I'd have had intangible benefit from the self-reliance, cushioning from price rises and also the geekery of it.

Yeah I definitely toyed with the battery idea when we first moved in but didn't have the data to back it up.

It's a lesson learned for me. By the time the data is there that proves it's a sure fire thing, it's already too late. As with most investments, you need to take a risk based on your convictions. Same as stocks and shares, classic cars or Pokemon cards. Making the profit is the thing that proves it was a good investment, but you need a time machine if you wanna be investing in stuff after it's already made the profit.

@presh201 I needed the data to figure out battery size rather than to calculate ROI. I was pretty confident the savings were there, but didn't want to get a huge capacity battery and only use 50% of the capacity most of the year

@ghaynes Ah ok! Yeah that was a head-scratcher for me too.

We have induction hobs and electric showers so I was concerned that one small battery would just trip out as soon as we drew a lot of power, which would defeat the purpose a bit. The non-brandname ones were often a really piffling size, barely enough to capture an hour of solar or power anything bigger than a TV.

To me, it looked like I'd need 3 or 4 Tesla batteries to capture a long UK summer day's worth of solar, or to charge up on the night tariff and power my home all day in the winter.

That wasn't a dealbraker, frankly I'd rather go hard or go home, as a sufficiently sized battery would allow me to be off-grid in the summer and cheap night-lekky in the winter. Although I guess the standing charge would hamstring it a bit.

How does you battery comapre with the daily input/output?

@presh201 Battery won't be installed until May, but I'd say between Sept and April we'd be using 100% of capacity daily (8.2kWh). GivEnergy have a what looks to be a decent API so I'll be doing some data crunching once we're all set up.