Are E-Bikes considered a "toy" in insurance terms?

holl

I'm trying to figure out if my e-bike is covered. Technically it has a motor and it is a vehicle so I think it's excluded, though the the policy also states "electrically powered vehicles designed for and used as a toy." are covered.

I'd ask my insurance company- though the only people who seem to truly understand coverage are the adjusters, and you can't talk to them directly.

Exclusions:

(g) motor vehicles and recreational vehicles. We do cover:

1) motor vehicles not subject to registration by a state regulatory agency

which are used primarily for servicing and maintaining the residence

premises.

2) recreational vehicles which are

used primarily for servicing and

maintaining the residence premises.

3) A conveyance designed primarily to

provide mobility to the handicapped,

provided it is not licensed for operation on public roadways.

4) electrically powered vehicles designed for and used as a toy.

@triedandtrue I read the Sundays bike insurance sample policy (I think Markel is the underwriter for all of these ) and it says you must let them know if you have homeowners insurance when making a claim , and that their policy is in excess of other policies.

Reading Veloc Insurance- they specify they are primary, so definitely need to be careful.

Funny- doesn't seem progressive actually sells ebike insurance. That page tells you to try their motorcycle insurance, and then only lets you select motorcycle brands to get a quote. Their marketing department must be ahead of actual sales :)

@holl May 11, 2023

We’re thrilled to unveil the latest investment in our Recreational Lines portfolio. Effective May 19, 2023, we will offer coverage for e-bikes and compact tractors in OR, TX, and WA. Both vehicle types will be available to quote in the Progressive Motorcycle program!

Industry-leading coverages have helped make Progressive #1 in Motorcycle insurance. Our standalone Motorcycle policy for your customer’s e-bike or compact tractor includes unique protection not found on a standard homeowners or farm policy. With this dedicated coverage, customers can enjoy their passion with the specialized coverages they need.

What qualifies as an e-bike

An e-bike is a bicycle with pedals and an electric motor that can assist in propulsion. Acceptable vehicle types will vary by state, but in general, acceptable vehicles include any class 1, 2, or 3 e-bike:

Class 1: Pedal-assist up to 20 mph
Class 2: Throttle-assist up to 20 mph (pedaling not necessary)
Class 3: Pedal-assist up to 28 mph (not acceptable in some states)
E-bikes not listed in our picklist may be acceptable as Other.
With a specialized Motorcycle policy, your customers benefit from protection against theft or accidents whether the e-bike is used on-road, on bike paths, or off-road. Progressive also covers up to the actual cash value of the e-bike, while a homeowners policy may impose limits. Plus, your customers will gain coverage of accessories up to $3,000 automatically included when Comprehensive is selected, with specialized options like Carried Contents, Safety Riding Apparel, and Roadside Assistance available.

Unacceptable vehicles include e-bikes that are registered as a moped or other type of on-road motor vehicle, e-bikes with motors rated more than 750W, and those made prior to 2010. Please note that unacceptability criteria within the Progressive Motorcycle program also apply.

@triedandtrue So I called them, and apparently the reason why it doesn't work is because they only sell ebike insurance in a few states. (Which their website is not clear on whatsoever )

@holl Check your state to see how e-bikes are legislated and what rules govern them. If there are licensing, registration, or age requirements, it's probably not going to fall under those exceptions that would allow it to be covered.

@emmanuelle7 It's VA and yeah there are age requirements, but no licensing or registration.

Interesting in VA law, they specify in definitions that ebikes are neither motor vehicles nor toys. Obviously these definitions are used to guide the actual laaws they are writing though, and I'm not sure if they can be used to guide insurance.

"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle as defined in this section that is self-propelled or designed for self-propulsion except as otherwise provided in this title. Any structure designed, used, or maintained primarily to be loaded on or affixed to a motor vehicle to provide a mobile dwelling, sleeping place, office, or commercial space shall be considered a part of a motor vehicle. Except as otherwise provided, for the purposes of this title, any device herein defined as a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, motorized skateboard or scooter, or moped shall be deemed not to be a motor vehicle.

"Toy vehicle" means any motorized or propellant-driven device that has no manufacturer-issued vehicle identification number that is designed or used to carry any person or persons, on any number of wheels, bearings, glides, blades, runners, or a cushion of air. "Toy vehicle" does not include electric personal assistive mobility devices, electric power-assisted bicycles, mopeds, motorized skateboards or scooters, or motorcycles, nor does it include any nonmotorized or nonpropellant-driven devices such as bicycles, roller skates, or skateboards.

@holl Years ago, I was on a product development committee and the issues of motorized play cars children drive up and down sidewalks were heavily discussed; very similar issues, except the e-bikes can be driven on roads and should be licensable (and thereby insurable). I'm thinking some type of RV policy might work. As someone else correctly stated, individual states may already have addressed this.

@roman1 It's there! Though definition is not the most helpful haha.

Motor vehicle means a motorized land vehicle. Motor vehicle does not include a recreational vehicle.

Recreational vehicle means a motorized land vehicle designed primarily for recreational purposes but not designed for travel on public roads. Recreational vehicle does not include watercraft.