Are corporate profits anomalously high, and will it last? Or revert?

@ghackman I'm not sure how you think that is relevant. Even with Shell's historic profits their net margin for the year was 11%, which isn't anywhere close enough to pay for the whole company with 1 year of profits.

@resjudicata
Just because profits fell from 15-ish % to 11%

So....saying profit margins fell by (actually 16.4% in the S&P500 source: JPM) in 2022, is actually correct then, isnt it?

Thus, you are just a raging asshole who wants everyone to know your beliefs about what corporate profits should be, telling people not to believe the data about what they actually are

@daniellea
Profit per unit of real gross value added has blown up since 2000, from 5% to 16% of every dollar of value added (which is output value minus input costs, if I'm reading this right).

Yep, as is the case with changes in technology (feel like something fundamentally changed right around Y2K..../r/hmmm). Tech companies are notoriously capex (and largely opex)-lite, so expanding margins makes total sense.

Corporate profits as a fraction of GDP are at near record levels, about 10%. The historical norm might be 6%, but it shot up around 2007, fell sharply, then recovered and went higher.

See above. Greater profit per unit sold generally implies greater real dollar value profit for corporations across the board. Other things equal (in terms of government spending, net imports, etc), it makes mathematical sense that corporate profits would command a greater % of real GDP.

Especially if you're using 2007 as your baseline year to compare against.....

Buybacks and dividends grew by a factor of about 2.5 from 2009 to 2019, and then shot up some more in 2020, with a lot of variation across industries.

Yep, the formerly high growth tech companies with novel ideas / products that are also cheap to produce, especially with an IP moat or first mover advantage are eventually going to slow down and mature. That generally means that it's time to reward those patient equity holders with some return on their capital in the form of divvy or share repo. Good example of this is when Apple initiated their divvy around 10ish years ago (I think)

Doesn't really have anything to do with low rates (why incur a greater cost of equity with increased buybacks and dividend hikes if baseline debt costs are basically 0%? And even cheaper when you think about tax deductibility of interest payments) or tax cuts (which have only been in effect for the last 4 - 5 years).

@daniellea All those profits begin to sky rocket during the pandemic. People had a bit more disposable income when they were working from home and not in the daily grind. Corpo's took advantage of the situation and raised prices. Record profits, record inflation, clear as day with this graph, thank you.

@sisterm I think it's a bit more fundamental then that. Markets getting more efficient, companies are getting pressure to grow, raising prices, triggering Inflation, low interest rates only put gas on the fire since companies now have to meet expectations of an artificially inflated market.

@sisterm
Corpo's took advantage of the situation and raised prices.

I don't think you have any understanding of how business works. If a business has higher expenses they have to charge more. Higher expenses include goods and staffing, both of which have increased dramatically. You say higher profits without giving any consideration to a weaker dollar. If I have been earning $1200 to pay rent and now rent costs $1800, I will need to earn $1800. That is "record earnings" and I have never earned so much; yet I still spend it in rent.

"Corpos" didn't take advantage of anything, if they thought you would have paid more in 2019 they would have priced things the same then too. And so would you, if your employer offered you a 20% raise would you say "that's too much, my costs are only 5% higher so lets just do that." Probably not.

@marktina9767 What about the pandemic caused business' expenses to increase? Those things got more expensive because of inflation, which the person you're replying to is saying is due to predatory price increases.

Also, why do you think increasing prices just because they can doesn't count as "taking advantage"? That seems like the textbook definition to me...

@seeker422 I didn't realize this pandemic impact on prices was considered controversial. I'm assuming you truly don't understand so I would recommend a google search.

As far as setting prices, how does any business set prices? And every business owner was faced with the same wage and inflation pressures so for them to still make money they had to keep up. That is why inflation is so problematic and why letting it go unchecked for 18 months was even more disastrous.

@marktina9767 Sure I can go Google it but you're the one making the claim. You can't give a single example of a business expense that increased due to Covid but prior to our current state of inflation? I remember lumber got pretty expensive, some supply chains got screwed up. But I don't remember price increases across the board until inflation really started to rip

@seeker422
some supply chains got screwed up

...pretty much every supply chain got screwed up. The company I work for had to find new/more expensive suppliers for a lot of our inputs. Trucking costs increased 3-4x.

Price increases across the board is what caused inflation to rip. But it takes time. First 6 months of the pandemic you're still selling a lot of product based on pre-pandemic inventory and contracts. Then the trucking company you use charges 4x the normal cost so you have to increase price...or maybe you eat some of that margin. Then shipping containers go up 5x in price so all your imported components cost more. Then your annual contract for 2 or 3 components of what you make goes up 25%. All of a sudden you need to increase prices to offset all of that. Then it takes time for your distributor/retail location to sell through what they had at the new price, and then the price finally gets raised.

So it may look like all these increases weren't straight from COVID but instead because of "our current state of inflation". But also a lot of the price increases that have happened over the last 8 months or so are because of things that happened in 2020 and 2021.