Anyone concerned AI will take their jobs?

@resjudicata I work in marketing, so I'm learning how to use it to become better at my job. All AI is only as good as the prompt and the data it has. Learn to use it effectively.

@april_0718 Same here. It's only helped me become more efficient with previously very time consuming tasks (taking a beer bottle out of a conference photo for example). Something like that used to take a while in Photoshop... Now can be done in seconds.

@chaemb That's awesome! I do technical writing and marketing, so it helps accelerate content development drafts. But they do need a lot of editing still, and it only works with the right information uploaded into it. Otherwise, it pulls in things that are more relevant to our competitors than us.

@april_0718 Definitely. I think something my coworkers and I have noticed is that you still very much need the raw skills (photo editing, writing code, etc) to be able to apply it effectively... It's been an issue in our department with newer hires that try to get by with AI rather than develop the raw skills alongside it.

@resjudicata Eh. Idk. I was a hairdresser before this and can always just go back to that if I have to. I was raised by a poor, unstable mother who always stressed the importance of having a plan B. And C. And D. And never ever miss a housing payment, even if it means starving (hence my 8 mos of mortgage payments in a HYSA).

If my marketing role got replaced by AI and then I couldn’t do hair either, I could also do esthetics, or body waxing, or nails, or lashes, or extensions, or go back to school for a healthcare job which I’ve been considering anyway just for a change of pace and a third career. So no, I’m not worried.

@resjudicata If you want to be safe from AI then be a blue collar worker. ChatGPT isn’t going to plumb and wire a new construction house from scratch anytime soon

@marbewpi No one wants to work blue collar, their is a shortage of tradesmen and the average age of people doing the work is increasing.

People want to be “influencers” or other jobs these days that is just typing on a keyboard all day instead, which is most susceptible to A.I takeover.

My Samsung dryer was messed up two weeks ago so I had an appliance repairman come out to take a look at it. He was at my house for less then 35 minutes, replaced no physical parts and charged me $120 (meaning his labor rate is over $200 per hour)

The trades are heavily undervalued as far as career path

@a83 As office and white collar jobs are replaced, people will look at blue collar jobs in a new light and I think you'll see people migrate to them for the reasons you first said