@mary7 Seriously? Lol i’ve heard Amex Japan doesn’t have the most friendly service based on the reviews of other cardholders here. I also use the English service provided by SMBC when I need to call them and it has been a life saver.

Rakuten is good especially if you are trying to accumulate points. I also use Rakuten mobile so I can pay using my points. It’s one of the easiest credit cards to apply and I heard other people say the same. The limit they give you initially is a joke but after a few months of smooth transaction, they upped mine from 10万 to 50万, then 100万currently. Don’t really use it much though so I’m good with this limit.

@lovemy4girls I have significant history with Amex in the United States, fairly high salary on HSP. Was able to get the ANA Amex applying online around 2.5 months after moving to Japan. Maybe I got lucky though. My other friend in a similar situation was able to get it about a year into Japan.

@dakuyz Interesting, it seems that your approval would really depend on timing and luck, not historical record of your credit.
Happy for you that you got it though!

@lovemy4girls as I recall they keep record for 6months on rejections etc. so you can apply every 6months with clean record.

if you move your address, it can effect on ability for getting approved for cc. adding just in case it would be relevant for you.

also lower tier cards are easier to get, you could apply for entry level amex and then apply to upgrade to gold a year later.

@jewelpet I saw the 6 month wait after rejection in their FAQ so I can’t seem to reapply soon.
Appreciate your input but I might as well give up on this credit card if I still don’t get the approved on the paper application. Will just have to find another way to earn the bonus miles.

@lovemy4girls Like others have said, it may be a paper application issue. Also, it could be to do with the amount of cards you have and how recently you’ve received / been rejected another credit card.