Am I being paid properly?

dhebi

For a little bit of back story, I just graduated Magna Cum Laude with a BS in mathematics in May 2019, I now work for my in-law's small independent insurance agency. My husband thinks that my in-laws aren't paying me enough and keeps pushing me to ask for a hefty raise. I have absolutely no idea if I'm being paid fairly seeing as I've only been in this industry for a little over a year now. I was hoping for some advice.

Job Description: Officially, my title is a Customer Service Representative. I am being paid $42,000, we are located in the suburbs of a major city in Texas. I am licensed in both Life & Health and P&C. Currently, I manage all of the employee changes with the carriers. If an employee is hired, terminated, experiences a QLE, etc. I manage and process that every day. We have about 50 accounts, most of our accounts are in the 51-100 range. This part of my job alone can easily take up to 20 hours a week. On top of that, I do all of the back end work for all of the open enrollments for each of our existing accounts. I quote with several carriers, I write up a proposal, take it to the group, I travel out to each account (we have accounts all over Texas) during their open enrollment, sit with each employee at every group (usually my SIL or MIL will go with me, in Q4, our entire office MIL, FIL, and SIL will go) enroll the employees, I handle the installation process, submit all of the spreadsheets and enrollment info to the carriers, and then I maintain the group for the entirety of their policy year. Since I'm so new, my MIL has been double checking my work for the most part, and guiding me. I do not acquire any new accounts, I just maintain the ones we have, or install new ones that are sold by my FIL.

I also manage smaller office tasks (sort of like a secretary would), I'm in charge of getting the mail every other day, I send out birthday cards, I'm in charge of our company gifts for our clients at Christmas time, etc. .

My MIL used to do the back end of the quoting process for the groups' open enrollment and outsourced the "changes" part of the job. She and my FIL started the business about 10 years ago and it was the intention when I was hired that I would take over for my MIL so she could retire early. They implied that it would take a few years before my MIL would be able to go part-time. But, after just one year of me working here, my MIL has already been able to go part-time, and eventually, she will only come in to work to cut payroll and that's it.

Also, in case it's helpful, in May 2020 (yearly review), I told them that my goal is to eventually be paid $60,000 per year (husband's idea) in the near future, and they acted like that was ridiculous.

So my question: Is $42,000 a fair salary for the job I'm doing? Please bear in mind that I have only been doing this for a year, I have so little experience that big picture issues or situation have to be handled by my boss (MIL or FIL). When I say fair, I mean, is this comparable to what someone else doing a similar job is being paid? I know it is sort of taboo to talk about salary, but I'm really hoping to get some perspective here.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also manage the 401(k) meetings and enrollments for 5 of our groups. This usually means, twice a year, I travel to each of the accounts and meet with the employees who are newly eligible 401(k).

@munyaku Thank you for your response. I did try glass door and linkedin, but I can't find a position quite like mine. Most of the positions I found also have sales and they earn commission, but since my in-laws do not want me selling, its makes it hard to get an accurate picture of what I should be making.

@dhebi Ah, gotcha. I can't offer any further assistance though perhaps the other subs can! The other comments have great info for you as well :) Never let family stand in the way of you being paid what you're worth.

@dhebi IMO you're being paid the appropriate salary for the CSR title itself (my carrier I believe pays around the same, 9 years ago when I started my career I was at $35k though a much smaller town at the time) but you're doing "Account Exec" stuff that's way above and beyond a CSR. I think you're super underpaid for having to drive all over Texas and manage that book of business.

And it shouldn't be taboo, how else are we as working Americans supposed to be paid fairly and equally? I once had a coworker tell me "it's against policy to discuss salary" and she got upset when I told her to show me where it states that in our policies/procedures.

@resjudicata Thank you for your response. I hope I can ask you two more questions. I also just need to figure out how to make that case to my in-law's. They are still guiding me every step of the way, so I still need a good amount of help. Is your opinion still the same, even though I'm not self sufficient yet?

Also, what would you say are the normal responsibilities for a person just doing the CSR role?

@dhebi In my experience, CSRs don't do as much as you do for the same amount of money. When you said $40k for a CSR job, honestly I expected you to just be a call rep. Service accounts, process changes, handle inbound and outbound calls. Not all the stuff you do which includes driving all over the place.

I think you got great feedback on your r/insurance post, I do think you're at least a little underpaid, but I have no input on how to appropriately handle conversations, I just think that $40k is definitely underpaid.

@dhebi I do what you do and have for the last 18 years. While my salary is definitely higher, the new employees that come in to do the same thing make less than you do. I would ask for a raise, but $60k after 1 year is a leap. Part of it is also the mom/pop shop. Before we were bought out, we were a mom/pop shop. I didn’t realize the crazy amount of overhead that was being paid out just to keep us current technology/compliance wise.

@faithpalm Thank you for responding. That is super helpful. So you think I should still ask for a raise? My SIL has been working there for a few years and has said that they have pretty consistently given out 5% raises every year (which is great). I was making $40,000 until May, then I got a 5% raise after our annual review and now am making $42,000. Would it be reasonable to ask for another 5% raise in November, perhaps? Or is that a bit aggressive still?

(Assuming the COVID-19 situation doesn't get worse; my in-law's business hasn't experienced any downturn as of right now.)

@dhebi If you just got the raise to $42k a couple months ago, then I would wait until at least January to ask for another one. 5% is on the high end but still doable. Stick between 3-4%. Our starting salary is $35k with a 3% if we’re lucky raise.

With Covid, our renewals haven’t been hurt, but the new sales opportunities have been sad and pitiful. We all just took a 3% cut in order to avoid layoffs. I know of several other brokerages that are giving pay cuts right now.

@dhebi So I work for a large nations health insurance company and CSRs make normally about what you do. That being said, their workload is minuscule compared to what you’re doing. What you’re doing sounds more like an account sales rep, who travels to employers to educate employees and assist with open enrollment. An account sales rep also will act as a point of contact between the account manager and the employer and handle minor to mid level issues. At the company I currently work for your average salary in a large metropolitan area would be around 50k-53k per year with a maximum 8% bonus.