@gjr Broke my tooth on one of those. Came across it unexpectedly in one of those layered supermarket salads. Total nightmare! Had to get tooth extracted. Never again!

@corey7973 It is definitely cheaper to make your own. But more importantly yours will be better quality and with the ingrediet ratio you prefer... I never pay more than $5/kg for oats, I use brown sugar and butter and add in sultanas, linseed and sunflower or pumpkin seeds and a squeeze of orange juice (occasionally I throw in choc chip and cranberries if they are already in my cupboard) ... I just priced out all the raw Ingredients on grocer and it's less than $20 but I started with 1.5kg of rolled oats so that's working out at less than $1 per 100g all ingredients combined (sans time and cooking but you'll have about 250g of butter left and about 600g of brown sugar so your next batch will be even cheaper!) but your cheapest most boring bars start at the $2.50/100g mark and I would rather eat sawdust dipped in chocolate.... Your good quality nutritionally dense bars are as high as $30/100g! (OSMs are crazy expensive!!)

Edit: I hate peanuts but those plus peanut butter would be a very cheap way to make it go even further/cheaper because by weight they are vastly cheaper than oats and higher in protein.

@lbc_t_h_3 These are all approx.... I just do it by eye.

Toss 250g of warm butter and 250g of brown sugar (and a splash of orange juice if you like) in to 700g of rolled oats.... I add in linseed and sunflower at this point but the pumpkin anything high fat will explode/go black before the oats get toasty.

Place in to baking lined baking tray, deep enough for a bar I like them thin because then it's evenly toasty... Fan bake on 180c until golden. Keep and eye out you might need to rotate the tray to keep it even. You can even pull it out and toss it early on for a more even golden brown bar... Before it sets put in dried fruit/high fat things like coconut shavings/chocolate chips... Also good time to do drizzles and coatings... Set on countertop in tray till cool... then cut to slices... Keep in freezer if not eating within the next week or two. Or wrap in baking paper. And keep in airtight container.

If you like your bars more dry use less butter... More gooey use more sugar (or add golden syrup) if you don't use enough of either and crumble it after baking you get really delicious granola/cereal.

@corey7973 Protein powder cookies or balls… (balls as in -blitz some oats protein powder couple of dates for that sweet taste and sticky texture) roll in some puffed rices for crunch … really satisfies the sweet cravings with minimal expensive ingredients other than the protein powder

@corey7973 Make your own. I’ve got a no bake recipe I found on line. Finding the original again is hard.

Mine is 1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup desiccated coconut, 1/2 cup wheat germ, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cups sesame seeds, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (the seeds can be swapped for seeds you like or more rolled oats) toast in a fry pan, allow to cool in large bowl.

1 cup sultanas or other dried fruit, add to cooled mix.

125g butter, 1/2 cup honey, 1/3 cup brown sugar. Melt together to soft ball stage.

Mix wet and dry together, press into sponge tin, cool, cut, store (it freezes well).

I often add a bag of toasted muesli to this recipe, it makes it less sticky and a bit more crumbly.

You can add anything to it and change ratios as needed.

@nguyenanh126 A compound in sunflower seeds blocks an enzyme that causes blood vessels to constrict. As a result, it may help your blood vessels relax, lowering your blood pressure. The magnesium in sunflower seeds helps reduce blood pressure levels as well.

@zachariah89 Thank you, WildChilliGarden, for voting on TheSunflowerSeeds.

This bot wants to find the best and worst bots on Reddit. You can view results here.

[sup]Even if I don't reply to your comment, I'm still listening for votes. Check the webpage to see if your vote registered![/sup]

@corey7973 Cottage cheese, can eat on it's own, with crackers, or turn into little cheese pancakes with besan (chickpea flour) to up the protein content.

Tinned tuna, mackeral, sardines, etc.

Protein muffins or bars.

Chia pudding or overnight oats.

Make your own jerky.

Make your own nut butter with foraged walnuts...

So many options, really depends how time rich you are and what your partner likes to eat.

@corey7973 I’ve made these before and really liked them. They are quite dense lol. Definitely quite heavy in calories, but if you have a food processor or blender it takes like 5 minutes to make for a decent amount.

@corey7973 Lentil Brownies
1 1/2 cups split red lentils
1 cup dates
1 cup flour
2 cups oats
1 cup raisins
1 cup coconut
2 T molasses
1 t each of cinnamon and allspice
salt
rinse lentils a couple of times, then bring to boil with 4 cups of water and lid on. Keep an eye
on it because it boils over easily. Turn down to a simmer with lid off for about 10 minutes
stirring occasionally, then turn off and stir in dates and molasses. Put lid on and leave to sit
for about 20 minutes to cool a bit and to soak the dates.
Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl. Mash the lentils and dates with a potato masher.
Pour into dry ingredients and mix well. Use a spatula to put the mix onto baking paper and
smooth it into a rectangle about 2cm thick. Bake for 30 mins at 350F/180C. Turn onto a
cooling rack and cool. Cut into squares. Store in a container and eat
within 6 days. Watch they don't get condensation.

@corey7973 I’ve been using a Vegemite jar for a ‘yogurt thing’ I make. It’s got rolled oats, chia seeds, a bit of protein yogurt, 2 teaspoon of honey, scoop of protein powder, and a touch of milk. You want to make sure the protein powder is mixed in properly otherwise it’s bitsy. The oats and chia seed soak up a lot overnight and become more digestible. It’s probably not much in terms of protein but it’ll match or be better than “protein” muesli bars from the supermarket. Damn it packs a punch in terms of energy though haha.

I usually have it at lunch as I’m in construction and the carbs help replace glycogen that was burnt before lunch. At least that’s the theory anyway. The upfront cost of getting the protein (whether pea or whey) is expensive, but $45 protein (32 serves, 2 scoops/serve). Alternatively, you can do the yogurt thing without the protein powder and just have a protein shaker with some cold water separate to the yogurt thing. Especially if you don’t like the thick consistency of 1 scoop of powder mixed in a small volume.