[All states] 10 or 11 weeks. It was 11 weeks. It is still 11 weeks

clovispower

It keeps getting asked. Is it 10 weeks or 11? Did 1 week already get cut off.

No. It was 11. It is still 11.

Week - Week ending
  1. 1/2
  2. 1/9
  3. 1/16
  4. 1/23
  5. 1/30
  6. 2/6
  7. 2/13
  8. 2/20
  9. 2/27
  10. 3/6
  11. 3/13
That's 11 weeks of $300 before the sunset date of 3/14.

You will either certify
  • 1/3 to get a single $300 FPUC for W/E 1/2 OR
  • You will certify 1/10 to get two $300 FPUC for W/E 1/2 and 1/9
We are in the middle of the 1st week. The original CARES ACT would have lapsed 12/31, so it never lapsed.

If you don't get this, raise a stink with your State Govt. because they are trying to hurt you either out of political posturing or just plain incompetence.

How long it takes your state to implement; that is a different story.

@clovispower This is logical, so I don't understand the reasoning behind the news outlets saying a week has been lost. I've seen a few articles claiming this, but no real source. Anyone help a brotha out? What is the rationale for saying there is one week of benefits lost?

edit: Ok, so here is how I read the bill (HR 133 pdf. Open to comments:

Section 203 states "An agreement entered into under this section shall apply ... to weeks of unemployment beginning after December 26, 2020 (or, if later, the date on which such agreement is
entered into
), and ending on or before March 14, 2021.’’

So what does "agreement" refer to? Well that's in the original CARES act (HR 748 pdf) section 2104. That states "Any State which desires to do so may enter into and participate in an agreement under this section with the Secretary of Labor"

Therefore, the question is... is the date of the agreement the first agreement made for the first CARES act (thus much earlier this year) or is that agreement considered void and a new agreement must be entered. I certainly haven't read the whole thing but it would seem your original analysis holds.... that the agreement was entered months ago and was ongoing until 12/31, but the new act has amended the 12/31 date to 3/14/2021. Thus there should be no lapse.

It will definitely take time to pay out, so maybe that's what they are referring to. Or maybe there is other language in the original CARES act that I didn't see that negates this analysis (again, I didn't read it all... sheer curiosity only drives me so far)

@slzander Here's where logic seems to shoot down what the media is reporting:
  1. the original CARES act was still in effect until 12/31, so it never lapsed
  2. What if Trump signed the bill on the 23rd? Would that have negated the week ending 12/26? By the media's logic, yes. So either the lost week was inevitable or more logically, it would have only occured had it been signed after 12/31/2020 when CARES lapsed
  3. What if Trump signed 12/26. That would have also ruined that week. So if 12/26 is too soon and 12/27 is too late, then Congress outdid themselves in writing pure garbage legislation.
  4. So only 12/27/2020 12:00:00 AM would have been the closest to the perfect signing time. Literally to the second. If he signed Donald at 12:00:00 AM and Trump at 12:00:01 AM, then we lost a week, according to the media. In reality, 12/27 would have been the absolute best date possible as the legislation refers to a date, as in an entire day.
The media is so worried about narrative that they will always bend over backward to make a positive/negative spin fit that narrative regardless of facts.

@clovispower Thank you. We will see. CNN and many other media outlets have reported that we will only be getting 10 weeks though. It’s said that we’ve lost a week because since the bill was signed today and it’s the first day of this week, this week is now gone. I hope you’re right though:)

@sajamor I don't think OP is right; I think you have the gist. If he'd signed yesterday (the end of most states certification week is Saturday), then this week (week ending 1/2/21) would have been available for states to certify under the new law. Because he didn't sigb it until very late on Sunday, states cannot certify for this week as it wasn't "law" at 0001 Sunday morning and as you said states can't pay out for weeks wherein the law wasn't enacted.

@seinfeld The last week available was the last full week prior to Dec 31 - the partial week just ended up in the discard pile : ( Next full week of pmts will be next year. Skipping everyone this week = billions of dollars no doubt

@metraclarke It’s saying benefits are retroactive to when the program starts officially (this is what I’m saying). The article also points out that the final week of the year will not be paid out because “states can't provide benefits for weeks that start before programs are authorized.” So based on this, we actually will only get 10 not 11 weeks. That’s what I’m getting from this at least!

@metraclarke Thank you! I have read parts of the bill though and it was discussed in Congress and they specifically made sure that retroactive pay wasn’t included and that the bill/extension would only apply after it becomes law. When reading this, when are you thinking the retroactive payments will start? Just curious :)

@clovispower My first certification after being auto signed into the PEUC would have been yesterday. I’m waiting a day or 2 because I don’t want to be auto signed into FEDED. Is this a logical thing for me to do?