Alaska Finance won’t answer to verify

4thwatch

I’m going to try to keep short and sweet since some get hung up on the details.

My husband is looking to be a geo bachelor going to Elmendorf, he was given DAF Form 965 and told to pick one.

He can pick accompanied or unaccompanied.

What we are trying to figure out is if he leaves Korea and goes unaccompanied to Alaska if:

They will give his dependents housing (BAH)

And

Give him housing. He’s an E-6. So barracks not likely or FSH-B.

I believe Korea is wrong because they are saying well you chose this and the only BAH you get is where the service member is (Alaska) w/o dependent rate. There is no regulation that supports that statement.

To me after reading FMR VOLUME 7A, CHAPTER 26: “HOUSING ALLOWANCES”

He would get a housing allowance for us based on section 10.4 but finance in Korea is getting caught up on the verbiage “or “Unusually Arduous Sea Duty” Outside the United States (261004)” He’s in the Air Force, Not the Navy since Alaska is in the United States. But Alaska is OCONUS

A lot of people on Reddit, Finance Korea, and my husband are getting hung up on the fact that well he was given the choice but he’s choosing unaccompanied.

You’re given the choice at all overseas assignments that’s literally the title of the DAF Form 965: “Overseas Tour Election”

I posted the reg below:

10.4 Service Member With-Dependent Serves Unaccompanied or Dependent-Restricted Tour OCONUS or “Unusually Arduous Sea Duty” Outside the United States (261004)

A Service member with a dependent who serves an unaccompanied or dependent-restricted tour OCONUS or “unusually arduous sea duty” outside the United States is authorized a with- dependent housing allowance based on the dependent’s location. The housing allowance may be based on the old PDS if the dependent remained in the residence shared with the Service member before the PCS, did not relocate, and is not in Government quarters. The housing allowance for the dependent’s location may be authorized or approved to be effective on the date of the lease.

10.4.1. FSH Authorization. If the Service member is serving an unaccompanied or dependent-restricted tour and single-type Government quarters are not available for assignment at the PDS OCONUS, and the dependent does not reside at or near the PDS, then FSH-O or FSH-B is also authorized. A Service member assigned to “unusually arduous sea duty” is not authorized FSH since Government quarters are available for assignment.

FAMILY SEPARATION HOUSING (FSH) ALLOWANCE (2607)

7.1 FSH Overview (260701)
FSH is payable to a Service member with a dependent for added housing expenses resulting
from separation from the dependent. The separation must be caused by a Service member’s assignment on military or uniform orders to

either a PDS OCONUS on an unaccompanied or dependent-restricted tour

(This is the option he falls under)

or a PDS to which concurrent dependent travel has been denied or deferred (see paragraph 10.6)

(He thinks it’s this option because his orders say concurrent travel is automatic)

. For CONUS non-current travel application areas, refer to DoDI 1315.18, Enclosure 5, Paragraph 2.

*7.2 Administration of FSH Allowance (260702)

7.2.1. Eligibility. For FSH to be payable, all of the following conditions must be met:

7.2.1.1. Dependent transportation to the PDS is not authorized at Government expense under the JTR, Chapter 5, Section 0504;

(It won’t be if he elects unaccompanied)

7.2.1.2. Dependent does not reside in the PDS vicinity; and

(We don’t)

7.2.1.3. Government quarters are not available for assignment to the Service
member.

(Not likely)

I also looked at this document as posted by a nice fellow:

DAFI 36-2110 Chapter 7.11 (page 263)

And it’s just like any other tour picking accompanied or unaccompanied…

@4thwatch If he’s on unaccompanied orders, he gets a with dependents allowance for his dependents location and either government housing (barracks) or FSH-B for himself.

@kitty346 What you are missing is OP spouse has elected voluntarily, the PCS to Alaska. Alaska in not a restricted tour and accompanied status is automatic.

Spouse will get nothing if they don't move to Alaska.

@underhisgrace I didn’t miss that. If the servicemember were being stationed CONUS, you would be correct.

AK is OCONUS. When a servicemember is offered accompanied OCONUS orders, they always have the option of switching to unaccompanied orders (DODI 1315.18, Enclosure 4, Section 6). The housing allowance regulations (DoD FMR, Volume 7a, Chapter 26) don’t have separate rules for voluntary and involuntary unaccompanied orders.

@kitty346 The regulation.....

" The separation must be caused by a Service member’s assignment on military or uniform orders to
either a PDS OCONUS on an unaccompanied or dependent-restricted tour."

OP wasn't assigned unaccompanied, he chose it.

If it were as easy as you say, half the spouses at Eielson would just go home and get BAH.

There were a bunch of spouses trying to leave Eielson and couldn't.

@underhisgrace If the orders are unaccompanied, they are separated by the orders regardless of how the servicemember got the unaccompanied orders.

After the spouse has already moved to AK on accompanied orders, your correct—the Military won’t pay BAH for the spouse’s location if they just leave. If an Early Return of Dependents is approved, then BAH will be for wherever the dependent goes.

@underhisgrace BTW, you were wrong. 😂 He qualified for FSH-B in Anchorage and BAH for our location. Finance at Elmendorf told him it didn’t matter if he elected it or not. He doesn’t get FSA (which I already figured) because he did elect for unaccompanied.

@4thwatch You underestimate the abilities of the average finance troop.

There are dozens of spouses wanting to leave Eielson every winter......if they could get BAH for their home state...do you think they would stay?

@kitty346 He's not on unaccompanied orders, they elected not to go accompanied. He will get BAH or Barracks/dorms, but she is not eligible for any allowances.

@kaai A servicemember that gets OCONUS accompanied orders always has the option of electing to take an unaccompanied tour. DoDI 1315.18, Enclosure 4, Section 6 (page 30).

@kitty346 they have the option to go unaccompanied, but his orders do not prevent him from taking his spouse. The OP even posted the reg.

7.1 FSH Overview (260701) FSH is payable to a Service member with a dependent for added housing expenses resulting from separation from the dependent. The separation must be caused by a Service member’s assignment on military or uniform orders to
either a PDS OCONUS on an unaccompanied or dependent-restricted tour.

The key phrase is "The separation must be caused by a Service member’s assignment". His assignment does not cause separation, they chose separation.

@4thwatch Korea isn’t going to be the one processing the housing entitlement so they don’t matter in the equation.

Unaccompanied orders means the member can claim FSH, but not FSA. Unaccompanied, dependent restricted allows the member to get FSA as well.

ETA: most of my experience comes from OCONUS OHA locations not OCONUS BAH areas, so YMMV.