Advice

christ2132

Have not had to file any type of insurance claim for 8 years, so I'm not sure what to do.

Was in a minor two car accident. I was stopped in traffic, car behind me ran into my car. Moved out of traffic, exchanged info, police said no report was required, cars were drivable.

Other insurance company has accepted liability. They, Allstate, had me upload pics of the damage, and gave an AI generated repair estimate of about $800. Took the car to a local, reputable body shop. They did a hands on, eyeball estimate, $2500. Local shop says the bumper needs replacing because it is creased, which can be felt, but is hard to photograph. Allstate just wants to remove and repair the bumper cover. I've sent better photos, have emailed, but they are not offering to pay more.

What's the advice on how to proceed?

@christ2132 It's extremely unlikely they will pay any supplement on the damages until your car is in the shop for repairs and disassembled. You could take it to 5 shops, and you'll get 5 different estimates. With bumper impacts, it is almost certain there is hidden damage that will only be visible when they remove the bumper. The shop will then submit a supplement for any hidden damages or additional repairs needed.

I would question how reputable this shop is, if they don't know how insurance claims work. This has been the standard supplement process for every major carrier for 25+ years.

@cees Thank you. I'm asking for my education. My last claim, 7 or 8 years ago, had an in person inspection and report. Now, it's AI generated based on some photos. New to me. The shop knows how to do supplementals, so we will submit one once it's taken apart and we can document the other damage.

It just seems to me that it's another way for insurance companies to minimize their payout... But that's just my opinion.

@christ2132 Once the vehicle repairs starts have your body shop send in their estimate to the insurance as their supplement, the insurance will review and pay the shop for the repairs because they are liable. This is the normal process, the 1st estimate is usually low and there can be multiple estimates/supplements thru out the whole process. After the repairs are completed make sure to file a diminished value claim, because the value of your vehicle will drop with this accident now on your vehicle history. Get all your coins.