Advice on "overemployment" potential?

maluchristian

Hi PFNZ whanau,

Throwaway account in case my old/new bosses are on here. I've worked in IT for over 15 years now. Recently, with COVID lockdowns I have been able to find remote work and try my hand at being a contractor. The past year has been easy cruising, but have had a recent shake-up recently. I am hoping for advice!

I need help on potentially becoming "overemployed". Here's the situation:
  1. I work at Company A as a self-employed consultant. They told me 2 months ago they might not renew my contract once expired (expires this month) because the project I've been working on has run its course.
  2. I go on a job-hunting craze as I can't afford to be unemployed. People rely on my as sole breadwinner. Animals too lol
  3. I found Company B and C after 1.5 mos. They have both offered me a full-time permanent PAYE job this week.
  4. Today, Company A told me they want to sign me on for another 12 month contract. New project, they didn't anticipate they'd get funding but did.
  5. All three companies are fully remote/work from home.
Here are some numbers:

Company A:

$170k/year pretax. No benefits, no KiwiSaver, and I do my own taxes. I still get paid sickies and paid-time-off and I get to deduct expenses though, which are nice.

The type of work I do here can realistically be done in 4-5hours/day. They trust me there and I am well-respected.

Company B:

$140k/year pretax. Kiwisaver match and I am a full-time employee. Based off the interviews, they're a fast moving company with lots of work and not too many people to do it. I might need to work a full 8 hours in this company. It is well structured and established. They work different projects in a wide scope. Getting a 'toxic work culture' vibe from the interviews.

Company C:

$130k/year pretax. Same as Company B - I will be a permanent employee with usual perks. Based off interviews, they are a very small team wanting to scale. Not too much structure, trying to figure things out, but need all the help they can get from experienced people like me. They have a narrow scope of work. Based on the JD, I might be able to complete work in 5-6 hours a day.

Now, I am torn. I would have happily continued coasting through Company A had they not told me I might not get renewed for my new contract. Now that I have options, I am confused.

Considering I can do work for Company A in 4 hours a day, I might be able to pull off signing up for Company C and be overemployed. But what would that mean in taxes? Also, will they find out I am still consulting (considering I will have to give them tax code ST, which is for secondary income?) I could really use the extra income as we've always wanted to buy a home and it's been hard saving considering so many human (I support my family and extended family with health issues; it's complicated but rest assured I am not being taken advantage of) and furbaby mouths to house and feed.

I have never done anything like this before and I feel (kind of) dirty doing it? I'm a real stickler for the rules, but I am out of my element here.

Should I ignore Company B and C, just focus on A and pretend I never got those offers?

Your advice is very welcome!

@maluchristian Heres the simple answer.

1) Ignore Company B - Thats a no.

2) Take up company A's offer. It's too good to give up. Be honest with them & say that you are also wanting to explore Oppurtunites for secondary projects/consulting works etc. Rest assured it wont impact your deliverables and normal day to day job.

3) Be honest with company C and tell them you have a gig & can help out x hours a day as a contractor. Come to an agreement - problem solved.

@lex123 Good advice. I think people underestimate oe, it's pretty easy to tell when someone is doing it and it'll be a breach of any perm contract. You only need a couple of meeting clashes and it would get obvious so... go honest and at the end of the day who wants to play the top bracket if option c falls through

@maluchristian If I were you, I would go with an honest approach. Take company A up, it’s clearly the best deal. No point in engaging with company B.

Then be honest with C, you have a contract at another employee that is a better deal. But you are open to X hours per week contracting. They may look at restructuring the role if they like you enough.

That way the potential issues are vastly less. As a consultant in NZ your reputation is extremely important and I wouldn’t want to risk it. Just too small a place. But this way best case you get the upside without the risk.

@anthonywaynepalmer Thank you very much for this advice. I'm going to go in this direction and just be honest. If C decides to pass, then I'll have lost nothing but probably gained a good contact. If they do engage, then I can operate with peace of mind. Thank you, Captain!

@maluchristian New Zealand is small much higher chance of getting caught than in the US where it’s more popular.

Take into account BD, seems like A is a pretty good gig all the benefits of being a contractor and employee in one

@maluchristian Doesn't pass my red face test.

It's a small country. I suspect that the companies offering to employ you would not be stoked if they knew you were working 4 hours a day somewhere else. Word would get around. Why not tell them and see if they are still interested in employing you as a full time employee? I think I know what the answer will be. Alternatively, offer to work for them as a consultant for 4 hours a day? They might be pretty keen for that, or at least to try it out and see how it goes.

@maluchristian I would go with A and not bother with C.

A has good salary, you know the team etc and you dont need to work long hours. Sounds like a good gig especially now it wil be a 1 year contract.

Im actually looking for an A gig myself so if you don't go for it, let me know :)

What area of IT are you in and how do you find contracting vs full time employment. I would have thought contracting would be more work and you would need to fill in timesheets etc

@daveedg9 You generally have to fill timesheets ass a contractor (even if only to the agency), but depending on the company then you're generally treated as adults and not micro managed. Can see how working 2 jobs could be done remotely!

Only problem is if meetings clash, what happens then?

@maluchristian It's not uncommon for companies to not have even started thinking about a renewal until the last minute, so 2 months heads up that you may not be renewed AND coming through with a renewal as a Contractor is excellent. They like you and your work.

If you keep contracting, get at least 6 months' expenses saved up ASAP. Your family & mental health will thank you for it.

@maluchristian I was in a VERY similar scenario recently and chose A only. I use the spare time for (in no particular order)

- Upskilling/learning about new tech

- Networking: meeting potential clients and new people who are interesting and / or may help my career in future

- Doing research/market validation on a couple of business ideas I'm exploring,

- Family stuff

@maluchristian Here's the fun part;
If you accept company C you go for M tax code. It is your only paye income and not a secondary job.

A is contract so self employed, even if wt deducted doesn't change C tax code.

I'd avoid B for toxicity personally.

Can you comfortably do A and C and keep both happy without burning bridges.
Will A have another contract role in 12 months?
Or is security of C more ideal now.

A will basically all be taxed at top tax rate.