Advice on landlord insurance claims

crazyinsane

Hi, I had insurance with Terry Scheer. My tenant didn’t pay rent for 80 days plus left the house with significant floor damage and some wall paint damage. I claimed for the whole floor changing as the whole floor is the same in a 4 bedroom house. Plus the cleaning, some maintenance, gardening and some painting jobs which my PM put together. The insurance was difficult to pay me back the rent but they eventually did. Now after 4 months of the claim lodgement they are still asking for extra reports and has only evaluated 1 bedroom floor. Causation report and entry snd exit reports and all photos are already sent. Now my questions are that: 1. Can I go ahead with the maintenances ( as I already waited 4 months so far) or they might need the evidence at some stages and the house should be in the condition after tenant has left. 2. Why are they not processing it? What they might be looking at? Thanks

@crazyinsane As long as you’ve provided them all of the photos they need and allowed them access to the home, I would say 4 months is long enough to wait and you can start getting work done.

It’s possible they’re trying to determine if this is multiple losses that occurred during the tenancy, or if any of it is wear/tear related.

@ritaw Thank you! yes 4 months is very long and frustrating as it made me a lot of problems in my routine life.

they never asked for access and just wanted causation report which was provided to them by a registered handyman as they wanted.
They told me at the beginning on the phone when I provide photos i can do any work done and just get invoices, I just can’t trust them as didn’t expect this long procedure.