william3

Context:
27M gaijin, lives in Tokyo, makes around 15~18M after tax, potentially even more in the next few years. Expenses are roughly 5-6M/year, and the rest all goes into VOO.

Don’t have any debt nor expensive hobbies, except maybe dining out occasionally and trips back to home country every once in a while.

No plans on any huge purchases in the near future. Might try starting up a business within the food industry but have already set aside some money for that. Not interested in home ownership(at least for now) due to lack of knowledge. Not a fan of having kids as well.

Main Topic:
I understand that car ownership in Tokyo is very costly, and that my motivation comes from a relatively emotional place, but I have always been fond of the idea to just get in my car and drive to somewhere I have never set foot in and just relax, touch some grass, and maybe grab a bowl of ramen before leaving, because life in Tokyo can be quite suffocating at times(9-7 work, gym, sleep, rinse and repeat). Also because I love Costco.

So, on the grand scheme of things, on a scale from 1-10, how bad is the decision of purchasing a car going to be? And specifically, how much of an increase in expense per month am I looking at(currently thinking about getting a Tesla Model Y)? Are there any other things I should be aware of?

Thanks.

@josh321 Didn't know recruiters make so much! Is that so? How does recruiting in Japan work so that people end up making so much.

@hayleyc21 Just checked your post history, I'm not your wife bro, chill.

I may not have worded it well enough, but my question was never about my ability to afford the car. What I am asking is whether the purchase is going to be a justifiable one, since my motive is mostly out of emotional wants rather than necessity. And should I pull the trigger, what kind of expenses will I be expecting down the road.

Regardless of income level, a car purchase is still a huge expense, and I am just trying to be responsible with my finances, hence this post. Sorry if that offended you.

@william3 You could have made the thread with that comment alone. Quit kidding yourself.
There are people out there on 4m salary or so who can afford to own and drive a car. Thats why i said you must be coddled if you have time even ask - you dont really understand the real world.

No need to get so petty and reactive. You have to realise you probably live in a bubble and yes it can hurt to accept that but it is an important step to acknowledge it and try step outside. It will only make you a better person.

Otherwise you will attract much worse than what i said in my initial comment through life

@hayleyc21 “People out there on 4m salary or so who can afford to own and drive a car”
Have you ever heard of the term “car poor”? That’s exactly what I am trying to avoid hanse this post, but since you don’t make much I expect you are not going to understand it.

“You probably live in a bubble and yes it can hurt to accept that“
Just like how you moved to Japan to marry someone you don’t even know what her real personality is? Or the bubble that you thought you could become an employable web dev with no computer science background or Japanese skills? She don’t even love you bro. Acknowledge it and try step outside! It will only make you a better person.

But who am I to judge. No need to get so petty and reactive.

@william3 Why are you trying to make this so personal? Seem insecure to me.

If you think you are embarrassing me or something think again. I’m not that insecure or I would not freely engage and share. Certainly wouldn’t get so reactionary and petty and try humiliating people who i feel slighted by.

Why bring up car pooling? It seems you think i was suggesting people on 4m salary have to car pool.
There are people on average salary around 4m-6m owning and driving without having to car pool lol what do you mean?

This is why i suggest you may be a little coddled if you dont know reality. Try not to get offended, it will only help you with your own choices if you can measure and understand things more broadly

@william3 A bit of a tangent, but have you considered motorcycle ownership? I never considered myself a rider until a few years ago. Got my licence and then a litre bike, followed by a 125cc for inner city and off road. I couldn't be happier about the freedoms it brings. The ability to hop on and drive anywhere, anytime. The 125 is faster and cheaper than any other mode of transport in the city. Period. Also virtually never have to pay for parking as (small) bikes skirt that middle ground that doesn't really bother most people. Bikes under 250cc also don't need a bi-annual shaken so running costs are low. Just food for thought :).

@william3 At your level of income and savings, a car purchase is a complete non-issue to your finances in terms of being able to "afford" it. You can afford it. You can afford like, 5 cars. But I'm guessing you are looking to retire early, and a car will definitely set that back, so you just have to weigh the benefit of enjoying your working years more vs retiring a little bit earlier. This is not really a question anyone else can answer for you.

@william3 You can afford a car, so if you want a car, get a car. There's no bad decision here, spend some of your money to enjoy your life.

I've owned a car in Tokyo for the whole 20 years I've lived here and have yet to regret doing so.

@william3 I wouldn't worry about the money, you've got plenty. I would worry more about the pain in the ass level especially if you don't already have parking. It doesn't sound like you NEED a car, if thats the case, just rent cars, you can rent nice ones even. I think without a solid need (family or something), the hassle of car ownership isn't worth it just for a fun weekend trip and occasional trips to get bulk items or furniture etc.

Also the traffic leaving tokyo on the weekends is fucking shit. If you want to take weekend trips, get on a bullet train or express train and pick up a rental car once you're clear of tokyo. It is way faster than sitting on the expressway for two hours on a sunday evening.