Advice for 30 y.o Engineer

qmetiusiu

Just hoping to get some first hand perspective on what options the military can provide me. Just turned 30 and am a mechanical engineer with a masters degree in ME, currently working in industry. My financial situation is not what I'd like it to be and I'd like to accelerate my path to financial independence (I've got student loans). Do you think joining the reserves or active duty would be a good career/financial move? Currently in Phoenix and would rather not leave. Honestly exploring all options at this point. Thanks!!

@qmetiusiu As an Air Force Officer w an EE degree, I would encourage exploring defense industry more than entering the military directly. They have some presence in virtually every state.

Entering the reserves could be fun and an excellent networking opportunity, though I'm not sure what base you would be assigned to in Arizona, and job opportunities specifically would likely be limited - and that's well before even considering your degree. The pay is also dramatically lower than active duty and does not eliminate the need for regular employment.

Entering active duty could be a good financial move over time, but your degree will likely become near-useless unless you get pretty lucky. Additionally, you get little (basically no) choice in the matter of your residence.

You can see enlisted and officer pay here.

@qmetiusiu If you are just looking to better your financial situation then switch companies. Continue to switch companies every 2-4 years and that’s how you increase your salary. Unless you have a strong desire to actually serve your country, you are going to have a bad time if you just do it for financial gain… of which there isn’t much for a young O-1.

@qmetiusiu You’ll have to move away from Phoenix, but the Coast Guard has a direct commissioning program for engineers, you might even be able to come in as an O-2 instead of an O-1.

You’ll most likely do more management than engineering, unless you track in to the Marine Safety/Prevention route, in which case you’ll do some design/regulatory reviews for commercial vessels.

What is your specialty within M.E.?

@qmetiusiu Def echo what was said in other comments about defense industry. If able, potentially take a minor pay cut for a year if you can fast track your secret and then move up showing off your industry engineering skills. In 2-3 year think you could move up a decent amount and still get to do interesting individual contributor (sorry I'm from sw background and don't know ME equivalent?) Type work.