Advice after a speeding ticket

src

For context, over a year ago I got a speeding ticket in New York which has yet to be resolved (slow small court). I also just started my first insurance plan with Progressive in Colorado about 5 months ago. A week ago I got an email from Progressive stating my insurance was going up from about ~1k to ~1.5k siting my speeding ticket with a data broker as the source. This was surprising to me as after reaching out to the lawyer I hired nothing had been resolved yet. I’m also just peaved as the way Progressive got the information feels scummy as this ticket won’t even be on my Colorado driving license. I’m mostly asking for advice on what I should do as that extra $500 is a lot of money for me. If it best if I stay with progressive or look for alternatives and are there any ways I can fight this price increase? Thanks.

@src So you’re mad that Progressive found out about a speeding ticket that (I’m assuming) you didn’t tell them about? Where it happened doesn’t matter, a moving violation is a moving violation and you should expect to be rated for it on your insurance.

Only option (other than just paying the increased price) is to call an independent agent and have them shop around for you. And make sure you tell them the details of the ticket this time, or you’ll risk getting inaccurate quotes.

@yhjmkiop Personally recently signed up for progressive myself. During the application process I disclosed a relatively recent speeding ticket - they offered a rate that was acceptable to me. Go through the final steps and the final bound rate went DOWN after they ran my mvr confirming the details of the speeding ticket I disclosed. They cited being able to verify what I disclosed as being true and accurate.

Go figure - insurance thinks a completely honest person is less of a liability.

@src Progressive has a right to check your driving record and to rate you according to your risk. You got a speeding ticket (and apparently lied about it on the application). Charging you a higher rate is completely appropriate. You're lucky they are agreeing to continue your policy after you misrepresented yourself. Even if the ticket "goes away" in the court system, it still exists for insurance purposes, so don't think that it's going to magically disappear and not be rated. You would be required to disclose it to any other company you were quoted with or the same thing would happen.

@former32%C2%B0mason I guess I’m mistaken but I was under the impression that since I haven’t been convicted yet or payed any fines I still don’t technically have a ticket on my record? So by saying I didn’t have any driving incidents I was telling the truth? The part that annoys me is that it appears that progressive thinks I was convicted a month ago and if I was convicted (which me and the lawyer I hired still don’t know) Progressive somehow found out before I did which is just weird.

@src Clearly your driving record does already reflect that you have the ticket, otherwise Progressive would not have been able to see it. Being convicted in a legal sense and being fined by the courts, etc., can be different than what your DMV record shows for insurance purposes. I would say to ask your attorney for clarification, but it sounds like they are unfamiliar with how it works, which isn't a great sign.

I guess I’m mistaken but I was under the impression that since I haven’t been convicted yet or payed any fines I still don’t technically have a ticket on my record? So by saying I didn’t have any driving incidents I was telling the truth? The part that annoys me is that it appears that progressive thinks I was convicted a month ago and if I was convicted (which me and the lawyer I hired still don’t know) Progressive somehow found out before I did which is just weird.

@src You were issued a ticket the moment a cop gave you the ticket. Otherwise you wouldn't have an attorney for this or dealing with it in court. Insurance doesn't look at the courts so they don't have access to if you were convicted or not. Just that you had a ticket issued in your name. These are not always readily available as some states take longer for them to report to the DMV. So progressive will only have notice of the date it went on your driving record.