Account and says I owe $1350 in taxes because I worked 2 jobs, but I only worked 1 of those jobs for 4 weeks

calena7582

Hear me out, I know it’s not tax season. In short, I make $60k a year.

Last year I left my main job for 4.5 weeks to work at a sister company, this was not a self-employment job. I did not make any more money from this, I made the same amount as I’d make at my current job.

My accountant is now saying I’ll owe $1200 in taxes for doing this. That’s basically what I made from working those 4.5 weeks.

I did the same thing in 2017 and didn’t have to pay this much.

How is that possible?

@calena7582 Common problem when you have more than one job. Payroll for 1st job takes into consideration the $14(k) non refundable tax credit. Basically doesn't tax you on the 1st $14(k) of income. 2nd job is doing the same thing. When you do your taxes you only get the one deduction. Every employee has to complete a TD1 to state all the personal tax credits they are entitled to. Long form, very few read it. But on the second page there is a box to state that you have more than one employer and then you would be taxed appropriately.

@calena7582 Taxes are not based on jobs they are based on income. Look up a tax calculator for your province and you will see how much you owe in a year on your income.

What your job tries to do is estimate your taxes and withhold them so you don’t have a big tax bill at the end of the year.

The problem is your job doesn’t know your whole situation. They only know how much they pay you nothing more. They don’t know if you have other income or other tax credits.

So sometimes they estimate incorrectly and you owe some more or owe some less.

It’s not a penalty or a punishment it just means your paycheques were higher than they should have been all year.