jollylight

I did it guys! After struggling from paycheck to paycheck for my entire adult life, I have landed my first “big girl job”. Most entry level jobs in my field pay $45-50k/year. I took a chance and asked for $70k in the interview because I know how urgent their staffing need is, and we met roughly in the middle of what they were offering and what I asked. It is a Monday to Friday job, 8-5, good benefits. I’m so relieved beyond words. I make barely enough to pay my bills now, so this will change my life. I plan to stay in my cheap apartment for at least another 2 years so I can pay off debt and build some savings, but it’s finally here.

@jollylight Smart decision to avoid lifestyle creep. Kill your debt, start investing and have compound interest work for instead of against you. This is the way!

@shawnab I don't plan to change my lifestyle except that I will probably get higher quality food for myself and my pets. The first paycheck will go towards restocking my pantry and buying myself a decent wardrobe for the new job (although my shopping will be done at goodwill and other cheap stores) AND I will have plenty left to pay my bills! I'm going to double down hard on paying off the credit card debt I've accrued and then throw as much as I can towards savings every month. I have a good car that is paid off, I use mint mobile for my phone bill and pay it once a year, and I share streaming services with a few people. No need for any of that to change!

@jollylight Consider the work clothes an investment for your job and the higher quality food an investment for your health. These are two areas I consider necessities rather than lifestyle inflation.

@mamabear92 One of my grandparents used to tell me "don't cheap out on anything that goes between you and the ground" and that's been solid advice. Shoes, tires, mattress, etc, can all be good investments if you do your research and buy smart.

@mamabear92
The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

@jollylight Also hit up your local Buy Nothing group for work clothes! Clothes are the one thing that everyone is always giving away, and if you make an #iso (in search of) post that you’re looking for x type attire in y sizes for your new job you might even inspire someone to go through their closet.

@jollylight Goodwill has become an overpriced scam. Check there, but also check other thrift stores and compare prices (online) as much as possible; sometimes Goodwill stuff is priced higher than what you can pay for it new. Look online to places like eBay and OfferUp as well.

@prnce Eh. Goodwill isn’t a scam.

Goodwill saw Etsy and DePop stores making profit off the clothes they were selling and decided to increase their prices a little. Also they were hit with the same inflation and price increases the rest of us have seen.

Goodwill still sells clothes below retail. Still keeps older donated clothes in use, versus buying new ones. Does help employ people in need (though I don’t know as much about that).

There are some clothes that are about the same as retail. I see a lot of 32degrees clothes there, which cost about the same. That said, I also buy at Goodwill for all the other ways (see above) purchasing from a thrift store is beneficial, along with their less than new prices.

Goodwill could hire some DePop store owners and really jack up prices to match what people actually are willing to pay. I’m glad they haven’t.