About 30 percent of us will die before age 65. Do you have a plan B for your investments, in case you're unlucky?

@johnchristianforum That's what will and estate planning is for. My kids are well educated in the merit of index funds. Even if my wife didn't pay attention, my kids will set her straight. Or she can do nothing, the accounts are already set up that way.

@johnchristianforum My wife and I have a plan B, and a plan C.

Plan B: spouse gets it all. Beneficiaries are listed that way on every account. We check annually just to make sure no shenanigans occur.

Plan B+: one of us is injured and needs permanent long term care, we have insurance to cover it.

Plan C: we both go together, animals get lifetime care at a rescue farm, a couple of important (to us) foundations receive the majority. Family gets nothing as they did not help us earn it and they don’t need it.

Plan C+: we both need permanent long term care, that’s where the money will go until the plug is pulled. Then Plan C kicks in.

@johnchristianforum Plan A is Insurance. When you are young and healthy and don’t have enough investments yet, insurance is a cost effective way to cover things like paying off the rest of the mortgage giving your family a good life, and allows the kids to go to any university they choose. Plan B is investments. Once your investments are close to, or greater than, the value of the insurance, you flip the plan. Lower how much insurance you have and put that premium money into investments.

@johnchristianforum I was thinking about this last night. It's unlikely my father will outlive me, but possible. The only person left is my brother and he may be well off. I've got more time to think this through (debt not savings at this point unfortunately), but am leaning towards the monies likely being donated towards a non-profit. All of my grandparents lived into their 80s (actually both are still kicking and screaming on my fathers side), but my little brother died out at age 18... it could happen and this deserves serious thought once I actually start to accumulate wealth.

The question I was wondering last night is: will or living trust? I don't know enough yet to decide on what's best for my state.