About 30 percent of us will die before age 65. Do you have a plan B for your investments, in case you're unlucky?

I'm primarily thinking of people on this sub who invest for their retirement.

Do you have a plan for where your money should go, if you die before you get to use it, e.g. if you get cancer and die at age 63? Presumably many will be happy to pass it on to the immediate family, but have you actually thought about this, and perhaps even made a concrete plan?

(Sauce on age/death data: http://employees.oneonta.edu/vomsaaw/w/psy345/handouts/demograf.pdf )

Edit: thanks for pointing out potential flaws in the life expectancy projection. To add one of my own: people on this sub will probably live longer than the avg. American anyways, e.g. due to higher ed, access to health care, perhaps healthier lifestyles. The point remains: some of us will die way earlier than we hoped. Considering that so many here talk about 401k maxxing, etf-till-you-retire, etc., do you prep for this undesirable Plan B outcome?

@devotedbaker54 Actually, only 6-7% of people who die before 65 do so before 25. At 30 it's like 9%. The stat we are referring to here might be a bit closer to 25% than to 30%, but isn't too far off.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

Childhood/adolescence are actually the least probable years of death (measured as probability that you will die during that year), except for the first year of life. At birth you have about the same probability of dying (within one year) as someone who is in their mid 50s.

The least probable age to die at is 10, then the probability of death for every subsequent year increases.

A 25 year old has about a 4x probability of dying within a year as a 1 year old.

@devotedbaker54 /@inchristcah source mathematically demonstrates that you're wrong though. A baby born today has a life expectancy of 76.04 years. A 30 year old today has a life expectancy of 47.72 ( 30 + 47.72 = 77.72). So the 30 year old has 1.68 expected more years than a newborn. Which isn't "much higher".

Source: am actuary

@providenciaet Still right though by 1.68 years. You’re just arguing semantics for some dumbass reason. The point is correct conceptually. A 68 year old doesn’t have a life expectancy of 76.04. I just chose the wrong age for my example.