A sea of red for the housing market. Bigger and faster falls than GFC. Wellington down 20%, Auckland down 15%.

@andro As someone who's bought a new build due to be finished next year and now the prices for the units remaining for that same new build are cheaper than what I bought mine for: fuck my life.

@heatherb1993 Dont feel sad - we bought when the market was hot and couldnt afford a new build (we were just short about 50ish k). Ended up buying a 30yo house (still younger than me, considering all those houses which were built 70s and we viewed). If you plan to live in it and can service the mortgage - just accept it and carry on. You are just missing that Tesla you could have bought otherwise, but…so be it mate. Life is not always a win win…

@valpal1123 How do you figure? If they had to borrow 100k more than their neighbours then they're paying an extra $100+ per week to live in the same situation.
Having $100 extra per week makes a huge difference in quality of life, whether you spend it or invest it.

@valpal1123 The fundamental value is the price at which the rate of return (annual rental profit divided by price) is similar to other investments - usually about 4%. This equation is similar for FHBs, but for them the return is not having to pay rent, rather than receiving it.

When people pay more than the fundamental it's usually for speculative reasons (FOMO or greed) which tend to more or less disappear in a falling market, so prices retreat much closer to the fundamental value

@globalharvest I saw a girl on tiktok in Canada, she was on there talking about how she put an unconditional offer on a house but now can't get the lending and might lose her deposit so she has started a gofundme lol

Back