A/C went out - how to keep cool & what is the beat value?

@bcrich First we did the usual: Install solar shades, open windows at night, close windows during day, and use lots of fans. When that isn't enough, we bought an AC unit. The home does not have central AC.

We used a window air conditioner and a portable one. The portable air conditioner unit at nearly triple the price of the window one was much weaker. The reason is because the window unit lives outside the home and heat it produces dissipates outside. The portable one is has to cool itself and cool the home.

We had both because the portable one is just so convenient to install and move around living room. Make sure if you get one that it has both an intake and an outtake hose. They cost a little more than the single hose units but you'll save it on electricity costs.

@bcrich I don't know a lot about the specifics but the room ones have been a game changer. You have to really block off the room though and it's not great in open concept spaces.

Fans with ice in front can be a stop gap measure, as well as keeping curtains closed and other things PP have mentioned.

@resjudicata It says in the description that it goes up to 36” window, but my husband’s windows are all 42”-44” wide. I could put one in my kids’ bedroom, but the rest of the house would stay sweltering and I’m trying to save the fresh food.