7 distinctions, need guidance on next steps

dreamylala

Just looking for guidance. 7 distinctions, qualified for engineering degree. Need steps forward.

So herss my story guys, I'm 19 and I graduated high school with 7 distinctions and got into mech engineering , however my hearts not really in it and I really don't feel like having those loans on me if I don't see a long term future in that field. Can I have some sort of advice as to what the smartest steps for are for me in terms of investing my time for future success?

Any advice is helpful, thanks.

@dreamylala If you’re just wanting to invest your time for future success then you’re engineering degree is the way to go, however, if you have the means take time off to actually figure things out, you’re 19, save the smart decisions for later in life.

@dreamylala Every engineer that I met wanted to be an accountant and every accountant wanted to be an engineer, so choose wisely. I was a chemical engineer in the field of water, now retired.

@pragyana This made me laugh.

My dad studied medicine, after being 4years in he too wanted to switch to engineering. He did not.

He married an accountant, she too says she initially wanted to study engineering but couldn't get a bursary for it in time and went with the finance bursary as it covered 100% of her tuition.

They tried to pressure me into engineering every chance they got.

Ended up with a comp sci degree and glad I ignored them, I would never have survived the engineering program at Maties.

I guess as long as OP is passionate, committed and fully aware of what to expect it will definitely be worth it.

@dreamylala I have a very strong opinion on this topic. I did really well in matric, also 7 distinctions, did not work all that hard, finished matric in 2016, 85%+ avg. I thought I was clever. BUT THEN, I went to study electrical engineering at Stellenbosch..... because I thought I was soooo clever and was good at maths.

That's when life cuts you down to size, Uni is no joke, Engineering is no joke. If you go to a top university to study engineering and you don't put 150% into it, You will fail, almost guarenteed. I cannot explain to you how difficult the work is as well as the time that needs to be put in in order to pass. Doesn't matter how clever you are, if you don't have the discipline and your heart isnt in it, it is really tough to pass, at least imo.

I ended up shifting into finance and finally found something I really passionate about and enjoy through day trading when I was studying engineering.

My suggestion is to actively use your time to try and figure out what you enjoy, if you take a gap year, don't just fart around and do nothing, spend some time job shadowing, actively read LinkedIn job listing of jobs you may be interested in, read into what your day to day may look like, start a small side hustle, you will quickly realise what parts of things you enjoy/dislike etc.

Obviously engineering is a top degree that sets you up for a whole variety of fields as everyonr has mentioned, but be prepared to work your absolute butt off if you are to make it.

Good luck to you. You've got this.

@dreamylala Further education in a professional field is one of the best returns on investment a person can get.

Engineering is quite diverse as you can work in tech, consulting, finance, project management afterwards but it is for many a tougher degree to get through (which is part of why there are so many diverse careers you can enter though them)

Is there another engineering field you prefer to mechanical? Chem, electrical and computer are also highly regarded and easy to transpose skills onto other careers.

Then there's the comp sci option which you can flavour with a minor in math, finance, business etc at some universities.

@dreamylala What are your interests?

If your head isn't in it for mech you'll hate it. It's not the degree you start off if you are unsure. First two years you don't see any fun things. It's more hard work than you can imagine when you are use to school.

That said, the opertunites it gives you is far and wide.
For instance ASML in the Netherlands is recruiting graduates straight out of South African Universities.

And in South Africa there is lots of work for good engineers.

If you are into software, maybe look at a CS degree or Electrical engineering. Would say that is some of the most lucrative degrees at the moment in a technical field.

Again it depends on what gets you excited.

DM me if you have questions, I studied mech eng.

@dreamylala Gifted child failure here. 2 degrees. No job...

Get some people skills like bartending or being a waiter... Hope on a boat and party hard.

Sign up for all the American camp things. Go work at their golf clubs. Try get into Disney as a international guide.

Don't stick to one thing. Spend your 20's figuring out who you are and then study in your 30's.

Don't drink more than you can handle.
Don't do drugs. So so NOT worth it.
Ssve it as much as you can. Live like a pauper.

@dreamylala Engineer here.

Congrats on your 7 distinctions! My advice is if your heart is not in it then don't do it. My wife is also an engineer and she realised she hated engineering as a profession and started working as a physical trainer.

I agree with everyone's statement here, take a gap year to see what you truly want to do. I realised time is too short for someone to attend high school and figure out what they want to do for 40+ of their life. Your distinctions are not going to run away.

@dreamylala Engineer here, if you're not passionate about solving problems, then I don't think you should continue. However, if you can finish your engineering degreee you will open doors that a normal citizen does not have. I would highly recommend that you find a course that you like, for example chemical, civil, or industrial. You will be happy with your choice 10 years from now as opposed to not having a degree. A degree is not everything, but it does open doors for you

@dreamylala Just study whatever you like. Definitely don't dk something you don't like. I've had many colleagues burn out because they never liked what they studied in the first place. They end up moving to different fields or living of antidepressants. Not worth it. If you're smart and have any reasonable degree the money will follow so don't worry too much about that

@dreamylala If you are not sure, then you will be wasting both time and money. If you have the means, take the advice on here and take a gap year.

In my first year about 25% of the engineering cohort either came back from a 1 or 2 year gap year, or started studying something else and transfered to engineering. It won't be unusual starting a year or two later, BUT some of your maths and physicals will be a bit rusty so just be aware of that.

With your academic results there are many options; mechanical engineering is just one of them. What are your interests? There are so many specialities that you don't even know about until you start researching them.

@dreamylala engineering, mechatronics, software engineering , AI... all good career paths, that being said, better set your sights on a career overseas.

that gap year is a good idea. travel and new experiences really does broaden your horizons.

@dreamylala The gap year is bad idea man. Remember, even though you study Mech Eng., does not mean you'll get a job in that field. Hell, a bank could contact you to work for them, you'll earn a butt load and have an entertainment card. Most companies look at you having some sort of qualification, they will mold you according to their needs, especially if you excel. Most Universities offer some incentive if you're knocking straight A's in University, I know a friend who never paid fees because he had straight A's in Quantity Surveying. Remember that every area of work has fraud and corruption, thinking you'll be an honest Engineer is far from the truth. Companies don't want simple and easy solutions. it's all about tenders and projects. Most people at the very top don't have qualifications but want clever people like you around them to make them see legit. My advice is get your degree, it automatically puts you at an advantage. After that, if you want to study something else, you can on the side. Social University life is what will get you down if you don't focus.

@dreamylala as a first year in engineering
I'd say go for the gap year and use it wisely to think about what you really want to do
also, from my experience, what they say about you becoming lazy is kinda true, and it's been hard for me to get used to being a student again, so just make sure you are occupied with at least something
doesn't have to be anything hectic

@dreamylala I switched from electrical eng to comp sci and was much happier. I still have a large group of friends who qualified as mech/elec engineers. Most of them work in software/finance/investment banking now. Moral of the story is that engineering degrees are valued in many industries and gives you options but if you don't enjoy it then don't be afraid to switch.

@dreamylala I also say gap year. Like many of my "clever" peers I went straight into med school, followed the formula and by the time I realised how poorly medicine suits me I couldn't turn back.

HOWEVER...

Medicine opened doors for me that I would never have been able to access. High income, no tax (cruise ship job) allowed me to invest money in other businesses and carve out the life I want. I'm happy now and I don't see a single patient.

This answer isnt about the medical field. It's about the fact that your chosen field of study does not have to define you your whole life.