50% of TSP participants are in the G Fund

@jose96 Do you have a source for this? These numbers don't add up (see: https://www.frtib.gov/ReadingRoom/FinStmts/TSP-FS-Dec2020.pdf, where there are about 6.2 million people in the TSP.)

My only thought is that since there are 3.8M active contributors, perhaps they're looking at funds that active contributors are depositing the majority of their contributions in? You would probably be able to estimate the number of participants in each fund based on the AUM for each fund as well.

Just doing some quick math using the numbers above, if you assumed that there were only 36k people in the S fund, then each person would have, on average, $2.5M in assets in that fund ($94.1B AUM/36k people). The numbers above are either incorrect or are misleading.

@jojobean22 G fund is almost a sure bet to lose money. Doesn’t even keep pace with inflation really. I’d say it’s the most risky fund in a way.

More risk because you’re almost always losing purchasing power

The real term you wanna use with the G fund is that it’s less volatile

@jose96 Boomers going to Bloom. my advice is park your money in the C and S funds. lifecycle funds will screw you over. i've been telling everybody that. let it ride and enjoy the income. no need to let Skynet to play with your investment.