@toviah Well yeah, since the the rates have gone up and the 3 month's interest is based on the rate you are paying, not soek other mythical number. Kind of an obvious statement, don't you think?

Water is wet too.

@brotherjonathon1456 I suppose it is. Maybe I should’ve mentioned or asked if the gap/difference between variable and fixed penalties has narrowed since rates have climbed. Been a while since I’ve looked at the calculation for IRD for fixed mortgages.

@leafis Generally yes, that is one factor to consider when selling. There are other factors (maybe your needs change, maybe you need more space because of a growing family, maybe you're downsizing, whatever) but a big penalty will impact the decision to sell.

If someone is thinking of selling, one of the first things to do is call your lender and ask for a current penalty quote. The exact figure can change but it will give a ballpark to work with.

@pearlinprogress Shorter ones are more expensive right now, unless you get a really sweetheart deal. Bonds are still inverted. - 1 years are priced as if two cuts have already occurred, 5 years as if seven cuts have happened. It's unlikely you'll get much cheaper than current 5 years since they're already at terminal prices.

They've also jumped 30bp in the last few days so if you have a rate hold, hang onto it.