4.84% 5yr fixed vs 5.21% 3yr fixed?

jeff325

I'm thinking that at this moment,, mortgage rates can't decrease any further than 4.9% in 3 years. And during that time, I'm playing more in interest because waiting. Then I gotta wait 2 more years for it to go probably slightly lower than 4.84%. but I'm still paying more interest during that time.

The only advantage of the 5.21% 3yr fixed is that I can renew earlier

Do I have my math right?

@jeff325 Let's put this into some forward thinking.
Let's say in the next 2 years rates drop to the 2.5% range.

What are the mortgage break penalties for the 5yr term (2 years in) vs 3yr term (2 years in)

Because at that point in time it may be worth breaking the mortgage and signing a new fixed 2.5% term.

Variable mortgages carry a break penalty of 3 months interest. A 5 year fixed term with 12 months off can cost upwards of $20,000 to break the mortgage. (But could be saving you $1000/month by doing so)

@jeff325 Nobody knows for sure what will happen in the next 3 years to 5 years. Consensus with News and BoC is that it will go down at least by 0.5 percent this year.

What I think is important is below:
1. If the rate is fixed at 4.84% are you good to pay it off monthly comfortably?
2. Will you have any financial regrets if the rates indeed go lower in next 3-5years?
3. Have you looked around enough that above is the best rate you can get?
4. Have you done your due diligence to comfortably say that rate will not be much different if you take the 5 year fixed rate?