30 hours free childcare and top-up fees

@chuckpeterson 30 free hours is only for term time. I believe this gets pro-rata'd down to around 17 hours per week across the whole year. Assuming your child is in for 12 hours per day, or 48 hours per week, I would expect a drop of £638 (£1800 × 17 / 48). The £140 difference between this and your £500 off is only about £8-9 per day, which seems reasonable given the other comment about food and nappies not being covered.

Of course, ask for a breakdown and it'll probably be easier to work out.

@%ED%8F%B4%EB%9D%BC%EA%B9%80 30 hours x 40 weeks = 1,200

1,200 ÷ 51 weeks (or 52 if open over Christmas week) is about 23.5 hours when spread out.

Some providers like Busy Bees will cap the daily amount of hours that can be consumed on funding (i.e. 7.3 hours), and with a fixed 10 hour day being the only option for funded spaces, they can charge any hourly rate plus sundries

Check the 4 days is consuming all your 23.5ish hours. It may not be.

@chuckpeterson The 30 hours is term time only, and is pro rated at 24 hours per week throughout the year.

There will also be the other additional costs such meals, additional hours at beginning or end of the day.

This is most likely the reason why the bill is still high, but I would 100% recommend asking the nursery for a breakdown of these costs and how they have arrived at that figure. Mistakes can definitely be made, and if there aren't any at least you will be more confident in what you are paying for.

Edit: Have removed my comment about hourly rate difference between nursery and government funding. It appears free hours means free hours, regardless of the nursery's hourly rate, although I will leave that for an expert to confirm

@friendlysusan Sorry, but this is wrong. They can charge for consumables and additional activities. Things like trips, food nappies etc, but they must offer an alternative option for parents who don’t want to or can’t afford to pay for this. It can’t be a condition or to fund the free hours.

There’s guidance for nurseries that states this

https://assets.publishing.service.g...itlements-operational_guidance__3_.pdf#page33

And legal cases that back it up

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...g-parents-top-up-fees-for-free-places-3115711

@justthisone Hopefully you're using tax-free childcare at the moment. You add £800, HMRC adds £200, you can then pay the nursery £1000. This still applies even if you're paying the funded hours uplift.

@masidojin Thanks for the clarification. Just had my first child in October so just trying to understand future costs to know how much I need to save

Can believe the prices of childcare!

@chuckpeterson (Nursery manager here) They cannot do this and should be challanged. They must deduct hours not a monetary sum. If they refuse you should complain to the local authority. The 30 hours must be free at delivery. Additional extras are also not compulsory and should be optional in most cases. For example you can supply your own food etc. There was a case recently where the LA had to refund a parent because they failed to ensure the nursery was following the above conditions similar to what youre saying. Say you do 50 hours but get 30 hours per week (dont forget this only covers 38 weeks), you should pay for 20.

@chuckpeterson This sounds like a private nursery.

Would ask for a breakdown of costs for peace of mind.

30 free hours funding for nurseries hasn't changed materially since it was introduced. Their costs over the same period on the other hand, have.

Childcare is expensive...very expensive! (As you have been finding out!)

As others have pointed out, the 30 free hours are term time only.

@chuckpeterson Maybe it's London prices but I'm south east and I just looked in my emails and for 3-4yr olds it's gone up to £5.80/hour. I only use the 15 free hours but might add in some more as it just add up to much. We provide packed lunch and everything else is included!

@chuckpeterson Your child is entitled to 30 free hours. Whatever outside of that scope you pay. Otherwise the help offered would be given in cash value but it’s not. You ask for statements and breakdowns and show it to the council or HRMC they’ll be in big trouble